2006 Outback 2.5i Automatic Wagon

Happy holidays everyone.

I've been doing some research on the 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Base Model with Auto Trans (I can't afford anything better with a 25k price limit) and would like people's opinions on anyone who drives the 06 or

05 versions of this car.

Almost all the reviews I've read for this vehicle are for the 3.0 model, the turbocharged and manual transmission.

It would be nice to hear opinions on the car from those who drive the base 2.5i (or limited) with the 4 speed automatic.

From the reviews I've read, it said this car's 4 speed auto trans

upshifts too early and limits power and becomes annoying...is this true? How is the drive comfort (silky smooth, rough or truck-like ride)? Any rattles, weird vibrations or other annoying issues? Any reasons for dissatisfaction with the vehicle?

I reside in LA/SoCal area and I don't think I've seen a single person drive an Outback and am worried if there is a reason for that and I'd be a sucker to buy one.

They are real slow sellers and the local dealer quoted me a price of $700 below invoice before the $1000 rebate. Would this be a good deal?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Reply to
John C

It won't be the biggest gas miser in the world because of awd friction losses. The car is fairly bulletproof.

If you don't need awd why do you want a Subaru?

Reply to
Bob H

go to Edmunds web site, to subaru outback wagon reviews, do a "search" for "hesitation" in the discussion groups, and there you will find a bunch of lively and accurate discussions on the issue of the engine hesitation.

Reply to
AJB

Too bad you don't live on the east coast so you could buy my mother's

2005 2.5i wagon: she wants to replace it with the same thing, but with leather seats, which she regrets not buying in this car. She likes the car very much, says it has more power than her 1998 Legacy OBW, and feels it's more peppy on the highways. However, she is also in her 70s, so take that with a grain of salt. I have not yet driven this car myself. If you're at all interested in buying it, it's got 11,000 miles on it after 14 months of ownership, and it's in Md.

Can't comment on the price you got from your local dealer, but it's probably about as low as you'll get for a new Subaru.

Reply to
KLS

Greetings all,

Got a 2006 2.5i Limited Outback SEDAN on 12/27. Its probably got 120 on it now and we are still happy... Have not noticed a thing wrong with it. It has a real tight feeling ride. Not any real road noise (the only complaint with our '95). I got it with the leather seats and they are great. AND heat in the seats is great here in Spokane, WA. Not too sure you will need it in CA. The power is better than the 1995 Legacy that it replaced. Went from 2.2 to 2.5 liter and from an average of about 24 (mixed) to the Subaru advertised 23-28 for the 2.5 with 4 speed auto. This car has all we want and will probably do about 10k per year for the next 10 years. The Outback sits a little higher than the Legacy, but most all other dimensions are the same. Good site for current information is at

. Joe hasput together a good site with all the MSRP and Invoice Prices. And theoptions have their MSRP and invoice as well. ALL the info a person couldwant, but not any real reviews. MSRP for mine was $28020, Invoice $25862, Purchased at $24950, after rebate.That was what I had projected after doing some research. Costco had a "special " dealer program, but I beat their price on my own. Hardest part was to get rid of the Spoiler on the rear deck. NOT a problem/choice on the wagon...And then there was the tax...8.5%...YUK...

Good luck.

Reply to
Bill Pelka

I drive OBW in LA, and I see quite a lot of Outbacks and Foresters in Pasadena and Monrovia (where there is a dealership).

The Outback is sure nice during the rains and for an occasional trip to Mt.Hight or Mammoth.

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Pluzhnikov

I had a 2000 with hesitation issues but never in the 05 OBW that I have now.

And to add to that the auto transmission is fine, no odd quirks. It will adjust to your driving style. I have had my 05 for 1 1/2 years and I am completely satisfied with it. Not one problem so far.

If you want to see the roads littered with Subies go into the snowbelt states and all provinces in Canada and you will see plenty.

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Yeah it probably doesn't make sense for me to get a AWD vehicle for driving year-round 80 degree weather flat terrains, but at the minimum the AWD should help provide for a smoother ride I'm thinking.

Driving on Outback would make me a deviant in SoCal, but the blue pearl one is very appealing to me.

If I end up buying it and liking it, I should move to a place like Colorado where I can have more fun with it.

John C wrote:

Reply to
John C

Does it rain in California? AWD is a definite advantage in the rain.

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

You won't be a sucker, they're just not as popular there (yet).

Funny story- my dental hygenist moved here to Colorado from Michigan and I asked if the had many foreign cars there. She said no and was really surprised to see all the foreign cars here, "and those Subaru Outbacks...they're everywhere!!"

lol. Had to tell her I have one too. :-)

Reply to
Dino

Colorado?

North of Sacramento, going West, from Auburn all the way to Reno, you will find tens of thousands of S.California escapees who all seeem to drive nothing but Subies!

AWD is great in the snow, but it makes a car drive solid, as if on rails, in any other kind of weather. I have a small Impreza coupe, and the car is a marvel. Tiny two door that feels roomy and drives like a tank, almost.

Well, down in Phoenix Az, were I visit frequently it is looked upon as somewhat of a lower-end curiosity, gets mistaken for a Ford Escort.

The Outback is a beautiful car but if image is a big concern to you and you don't want to send any confusing messages to your S.Calif. clients, get a Camry/Honda, or whatever is now the standard in L.A. Otherwise with a Subie you may be perceived to be someone who has recently moved to S.Calif., from a northern state (don't know if that matters to you).

MN

Reply to
MN

I think I will bite the bullet and buy it this weekend...the factory rebate might not be extended past 1/3 so it would pay off to buy now in case.

Being in a place where 50% of the cars are either Accords, Camrys or behemoth SUVs driven by single people...driving a Subaru would make me feel different.

I know that the Legacy and Outbacks have among the best crash test ratings ever but I don't know too much about their reliability. I can't expect 10 years and 200k miles like I can with Toyota or Honda right?

Reply to
John C

You can expect 200K no problem. The engine is of a very durable design (boxer) and Subarus very frequently go longer than 200k. Subaru has had a history (reoccuring problem) of head gasket failures in their 2.5 L engine, so you may want to take that into account. Supposedly they fixed it (?).

Generally speaking Subarus require more maintenance than a typical Honda/Toyota does, this is due to more mechanical components (AWD differentials) which can break down and require regular fluid changes. This is all rather a very minor difference. Absolute reliability is probably similar or only a bit worse than Toyota/Honda.

The Legacy/Outbacks are far more enjoyable cars than Accords/Camrys, just like the Impreza's is far more enjoyable than the Corrollas/Civics.

MN

Reply to
MN

I can vouch for the head gaskets failing...

I own an '03 OBW and both head gaskets were replaced this past summer. The mileage was aroung 60 K when they failed. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty - it paid for itself....

But I still love the car - I would buy another in spite of the head gasket issue....I drove a new won as a loaner and it had plenty of pick up compared to mine.

Regards, PL

Reply to
Paris Ligi

drive an Outback and am worried if there is a reason for that and I'd be a sucker to buy one.

Reply to
bigjim

There are 4-5 dealership locations in D/FW. And a Subaru is likely overkill for most people in this area. Except for the dearth of wagons from which to choose and the sportiness of the Imprezas. The heated seats and windshields unfortunately usually come in the top of the line models. For instance, if one must have a sunroof and automatic transmission you might have to take leather and the cold weather package. Not well thought out for marketing to the southwest. And they seem to ship few white and a LOT of black cars down here. I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I thing ALLoutbacks come with the cold weather package. The dealer locator only shows a couple in the DFWmetroplex unlike in other states. My 04 with 4cyl auto and cloth no sunroof had heated everything but in NJ its nice :)

Reply to
bigjim

I moved from Phoenix to Flagstaff five years ago and was amazed at all the Subarus here. It's only 130 miles away, but that's what mountains do for you!

Mike (remembering to change out of my flannel shirt when we go to Phoenix today...)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've got a 2005 2.5 OBW auto and it has turned out to be the perfect touring car. Yesterday I came back 700 km from the coast in BC over three snowy mountain passes each about 5000'. Did it easily in 8.5 hours and averaged exactly 8.0 litres/100km.

I've got 21,000 km on it now with no real beefs at all. Great in snow (with snow tires on, natch) and I love the extra ground clearance for rutted back roads.

If you have the $$$ - get one!

Reply to
eachcornerpulling

Teape now has 2 locations. SOD in dallas and there's a dealership in Plano IIRC. Automall is gone but I've heard SOD may open another lot.

You're right about the Outback model. But I think you can get Legacy wagons without the cold weather stuff. But you will give up the xtra height I guess.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan