Anyone keeping up with the 'stop ship' order from Subaru?

It was a mystery for several days, but is shaping up to be a master cylinder problem, based on rumors and speculation I should say.

is a recall coming soon? Just the newest models? US only?

anybody got anything more on this?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Looking in an outback forum, I found this:

November 18, 2011 Subaru Dealer Colleagues: We wanted to make you aware SOA has put in place a ?Stop Ship? for Legacy, Outback, and Impreza. Forester, WRX/STI, and Tribeca are not affected and continue to ship normally. Production for all carlines is not impacted ? and November will represent an all-time record number of units built for SOA dealers in any single month.

However, during this stop ship, units expected to be delivered/drafted in the month of November will be delayed. Regional dealers will soon start to see changes on their pipeline report reflecting these changes. In addition, SOA will be communicating with customers that submitted a sold order (this includes Impreza customers from the ?Love is Worth Waiting For? campaign) and who recently received an email communication from SOA with an expected delivery date of their new Subaru. These customers will be told we are experiencing a processing delay with their vehicle.

We apologize for this unexpected interruption in our ramp-up plan. We all collectively looked forward to November as our transition month of really ?getting back to business?. Our top priority, however, is delivering to you the best products we can provide and that you expect from us. As soon as possible we?ll follow up with you again on the status of shipping from our ports as well as Subaru Yard Operations/Lafayette, and the ?next steps? we will be taking that involve your vehicle receipts. Please be assured our priorities and objectives line up with yours and we will be acting with your best interests in mind.

Best Regards, Tom Doll COO & Executive Vice President

Courtesy of CruiSSer:

"It seems that they are recalling/replacing all master cylinders on Legacy, Outback, and MY2012 Imprezas produced between 10/17 and 11/23. Realistically, dealers have not seen those production dates of vehicles hit the lot yet, at least in NJ. Originally a notice went out about 2 weeks ago regarding a soft pedal issue, but now is believed to be a defect in the master cylinder. No leaking taking place which leads me to believe it's something silly or superficial in nature. Time will tell."

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Seems like a limited date range that didn't get delivered. Much better to find stuff like that at the factory!

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

The question is why that part is not shared by forester and impreza. That and why they had to change master cylinder at all. Some tooling upgrade at some jap parts suppliers maybe?

A bunch of nonsensical topbrassspeak from Tom Doll opens up the door wide for rumors and speculation.

Some specificity (and honesty) would've been doubleplus good considering the engineering driven past of the organization (FHI).

The current management strategy seems to be "keep 'em in the dark and shit on them from time to time: they'll turn to mushrooms eventually" borrowed from the toyoda. That does not help to improve the goodwill of the current and would be customers.

Reply to
AD