oops

REPLACED BATTERY WHEN ENGINE WOULDNT TURN OVER. NEXT DAY CAR STARTED UP, YET BATTERY WARNING LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHTS LIT UP AND STAYED ON, WENT OFF AND SO ON. HMMM? AFTERNOON, CAR WOULDNT TURN OVER, GOT A JUMP FROM GOOD SAMARITAN. WHO HAPPENED TO BE A MECHANIC, SAYS ITS THE ALTENATOR, AND HAS A SHOP. DROVE RIGHT TO SHOP. GUYS CONFIRMED ALTENATOR FAILING. DID NOT HAVE ONE IN STOCK, WOULD TAKE 2 DAYS, DROVE HOME. NEXT DAY. CAR WONT TURN OVER. YET WARNING LIGHTS ON. GOT REBUILT ALT. ASKED THE GUYS AT NAPA PARTS, IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE PUTTING IN ALT. "NO." OK, FINE. PUT ALT IN NO PROB.CONNECTED ELECTRICAL AND NOTICED A SPARK. BAD..OOPS. DISCONNECTED BATTERY TERMINAL. FINISHED JOB. CAR WONT TURN OVER, NO CLICK BUT INSTRUMENT LIGHTS ON. TRIED JUMP START A COUPLE OF TIMES. NOTHING. NOW IM NO MECHANIC, OBVIOUSLY, BUT WHATS NEXT RELAY SWITCH, STARTER, NEW CAR? HELP

Reply to
jdnrobertson

Well, I see nothing in your post that tells me the battery got , um, re-charged the last time - so it likely is low/dead. Though that doesn't explain why a jump start didn't work. I'd be tempted to haul the battery to someone who could charge it and perhaps load test it. A few sparks during batt/charging sys. work might be normal as the clock and maybe radio standby are always drawing current.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan