Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

The correct type of antifreeze can be purchased for any vehicle.

Reply to
L Alpert

i second that...

Reply to
jim beam

Systems are engineered using available standard materials. I have seen no indications that Honda has used systems that has forced or required a technological breakthrough in auto fluids.

Reply to
L Alpert

The probability that Honda branded antifreeze is made on the same equipment with the same ingredients and with the same process as Prestone (or some other high volume manufacturer) is very high. There are many non-silcate brands available.

Reply to
L Alpert

i don't use honda branded brake fluid or coolant. but i do use honda branded atf and power steering because of past problems. when i was young and dumb, you couldn't tell me that it was worth paying for honda atf - afterall the book said it was just dexron II spec. however, when my car started to shift badly after i changed out the fluid, you'd think i'd learn, right? no. long story short - several cars [not just mine], and some time later, the penny finally drops. honda atf /is/ different. and a honda starts to shift better again immediately you revert back to their stuff.

same for power steering fluid and watching people get leaks a couple of months after using generic. multiple times over the years [though fortunately, not on my cars]. i understand honda p/s fluid has silicone in it and hardware different seal materials. don't ask me why.

right - it paper-trails the production - iso9001 [etc] has nothing to do with whether the spec was written correctly or is appropriate. it's incredibly common for someone to spec the wrong material for a job - but it's still perfectly iso compliant!

Reply to
jim beam

indeed. but i return to the original point - i can tell you from experience that two "generic" products used on hondas are not generic at all - atf and p/s fluid. just because others practice what you say, doesn't mean they all do.

Reply to
jim beam

it's not so long ago that you couldn't get non-silicate antifreeze at the auto parts store - just like it took some time after honda engine oil spec changed to 5w-20 before you could buy generics of that weight.

bottom line - in a lot of cases, you can buy a perfectly decent generic qualified for its job. but the manufacturer brand is a /guarantee/ it will work - generic is not.

Reply to
jim beam

we can agree on that - in principle.

search the honda newsgroups - there's a tom of people disagree with you on the atf/psf thing.

what atf do you use? and how often do you change it?

Reply to
jim beam

About eight months ago, I went looking for new windshield wiper refills for my 1978 Dodge van.There are four auto parts stores within about three miles of me.Autozone, NAPA, Advance, and O'Reilly's.(there are many more auto parts stores around here, but I will not drive all over town) Only O'Reilly's had the refills I needed. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Anything you can buy in the stores that meets Honda specs is just as good.The only Honda vehicle I have ever owed before was a second hand Honda Moped, back in the 1970s. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In addition, corrosion is a slow process. Who is going to notice the difference? It affects the water pump or radiator more than the engine.

Reply to
Bob Jones

green stuff isnt good with aluminum.

Reply to
SoCalMike

ive never had a prob with using the red dexcool (silicate free, aluminum safe) on any of my japanese vehicles. and unless the brake system uses silicone fluid, regular DOT 3/4 works great, changed every 2-3yrs as required.

i do agree totally with you on the tranny fluid, though. thats a common issue, and not just on hondas. Mopar has their own spec, as well.

Reply to
SoCalMike

IIRC, VAG (volkwagen/audi) spec a different type of coolant.

Reply to
SoCalMike

FWIW, toyotas ATF is "lifetime" and the coolant is good for 120k.

Reply to
SoCalMike
Reply to
rjohnsto

Whose to say another manufacturer doesn't make a product that is superior performance?

Reply to
L Alpert

That is a pretty accurate summary.

Reply to
L Alpert

Has anyone tried above recommendations?

Reply to
me

how many coolant pump failures have you had? and why did you bother to use non-silicate if this subject is such a non-issue?

easy - longevity. japanese manufacturers differentiate themselves with longevity. europeans don't design for mileage much over 100k. in fact, they frequently design /against/ it. why waste money on a higher spec coolant if the car's only got so long to live?

Reply to
jim beam