Jeep CJ-7

So Here is my problem... I have a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 with the inline 6 4.2... About 2 weeks ago I developed a vibration when accelerating in 1st and

3rd around 2500-3000 RPM. I could not figure it out!! I thought i might have had an alignment problem or something to do with recently greased joints...Well today My driveshaft dropped from the rear-end side. The bolts in the connector snapped off. I am thinking either from the harmonic balancer or maybe one bolt broke and then the vibrations broke the other. Well I decided I would just pull the driveshaft, throw it into 4 wheel drive and limp it home like a FWD. Well first I could not get the driveshaft off...could not pull it from the transmission, and could not loosen the bolts. I decided to try and tie it up so it would spin freely without hurting anything else(yeah ghetto I know). But when I put it into 4WD I could shift through the gears without hitting the clutch, and the car would not move...?? Am i missing something? I thought for sure this would work. I also know that my 4WD works. Did I burn out my clutch somehow too? Any ideas here...my poor baby is sitting on the highway...I'd rather tow it to my house than a mechanic!! Thanks for the help Jeremy
Reply to
jelwell1982

Crap I am an idiot!!! I forgot to lock the hubs..... So for anyonecurious I need 2 driveshat ujoint end caps and clamps and problem solved....Thanks internet!!

-J-

Reply to
jelwell1982

First off, remove the rear driveshaft before you break something. Second, your transfer case is not in 4wd or you forgot to lock your hubs, that's why it won't move. If you haven't used 4wd in a while your transfer case shift linkage might be binding.

Reply to
Mike