Nissan Maxima Automatic trans

I am about to tear into a 1990 Nissan Maxima Automatic tranny. The car has

130,000 miles on it and is not worth the $2-2.5 thousand I am being quoted by tranny shops.

Has anybody done this and are there any cautionary tales out there? Is there a newsgroup more appropriate than this one? BTW, I've paid trany shop for diagnostics. All they can tell me is that the computer is OK and the trouble must be inside. The last time I took a tranny apart was 40 years ago (1956 Olds Hydramatic). Replaced the bands and got it going again. Today's trannies are probably a bit more complicated. I do have a proper Nissan shop manual.

All advice (even negative) appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You have a shop manual, your half way there. The only thing that I can see you needing is a shop press and a little patience. If you have a digital camera you might take pictures as you disassemble it. The last Tranny I did I soaked the clutch packs in tranny fluid so they wouldn't be dry at start up, same thing with seals/O-rings. One more thing, replace the convertor with a rebuilt one. Nothing will piss you off more than finding out that the lock-up clutch is bad after you have everything back together not to mention all the garbage that collects in the convertor and most likely end up in the tranny. Make sure that the convertor is FULLY seated and has engaged the front pump. Thats all I got, HTH

Rick

Reply to
thetoolman