1990 Camry auto xmission question

I have a 1990 Camry 4cyl auto (A140E) transmission that won't shift into drive. All other transmission functions work okay. I have done some research and think there may be a shift solenoid problem inside the transmission. Is this an expensive fix. Local transmission shop wants to install a used one for $1200 total. I think that I should bring it to AAMCO or dealer?? I have not run the diagnostic code read out yet. Any help?? Fred in Renton Washington.

Reply to
Fred

When you say that all other transmission functions work okay, do you mean park, reverse, low, 2, and 3 work ok? The problem could be just a mis-adjusted shifter linkage or it could be shift solenoids. A shift linkage adjustment should be inexpensive, anyone should be able to do it. A shift solenoid will run a couple of hundred dollars installed.

Reply to
Ray O

Don't know if it is an easy fix but I would suggest you stay away from AAMCO. I have never heard anything good about AAMCO. I would bring it to the dealer or another reputable trans shop for an estimate first. It may be cheaper to repair than to replace.

A used trans may not be the way to go. I would not install a used trans unless I new for a fact it was in good condition with low miles. A used trans should also come with some sort of warranty.

Another option may be to purchase a "reman" trans from Toyota.

Reply to
Mike

This is a guess: A similar thing happens to the A340 Trans in the Supra. Ray O knows of a Camry repair manual on-line somewhere. There should be a section in there detailing the troubleshooting of the trans. It's fairly simple and is done with an ohm meter.

But, if it does use the same system as the Supra, then the OD/OFF light on the dash should be flashing, and it should NOT shift through the other gears.

Replacement is pretty straightforward, you drop the pan and the filter and the solenoids should be visible. And afternoon with a set of ramps should do it, even better if you have a friend with a lift!

Search through the postings in this newsgroup with the subject CAMRY and the link should come up. It's a .edu, IIRC.

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ray O