1990 Camry

So I'm driving to work, all is well. 188K mile Camry dies. Cranks, won't start. Take off distributor cap, and rotor isn't turning. I had it towed to my family mechanic. He'll put the new belt on and then do a compression to see how it works out. He told me this is a "non-interference" engine, so there may or may not be valve damage. Should I continue on with this car that I love and put maybe $300-400 of work into it (if I have him do anything else), or look for another, newer car?

Thanks,

Gary in NC.

Reply to
gcroix

So I'm driving to work, all is well. 188K mile Camry dies. Cranks, won't start. Take off distributor cap, and rotor isn't turning. I had it towed to my family mechanic. He'll put the new belt on and then do a compression to see how it works out. He told me this is a "non-interference" engine, so there may or may not be valve damage. Should I continue on with this car that I love and put maybe $300-400 of work into it (if I have him do anything else), or look for another, newer car?

Thanks,

Gary in NC.

Reply to
gcroix

You will not have any valve damage, just needs a timing belt since he is in there anyway a new waterpump may be a good idea at your mileage..$300-$400 won't even make one car payment. Keep driving it until you have a major problem...

Reply to
ROBMURR

Thanks for your answer. I heard the same thing about the waterpump from a guy with a high mileage Honda.

Reply to
gcroix

Waaaaa.....?

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

I think the original poster with the car had the question of putting $300-$400 worth of work into his 1990 Camry vs buying a new car...So the maintenance he described was worth doing since just a single months car payment on a new one would meet or exceed the long term maintenance he needed which I think were things like timing belt and spark plugs etc which will last him 60,000 miles or more...

Reply to
ROBMURR