'88 Supra: Preparing Gaskets...

Is there anything I can do to keep my new valve cover gaskets more pliable? The old ones were toast. I tried tightening the screws to keep oil from leaking, but found the culprit was a 1/4" gap in the exhaust side gasket.

I have some high-temp gasket maker. Should I use a thin bead under the gasket, or some kind of grease (the best thing I have is dielectric grease...) or a thin bead inside the valve cover?

Open to suggestions. I realize this is an old car, and just the new gaskets will make a big difference, but it's a Toyota, and nobody really knows HOW much longer it will last...

and this is one job I do NOT want to do again!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Come to think of it, just about anything I do on this car is something I don't want to do again. Well, perhaps the brakes...they were easy.

Everything else has been a PITA...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't think RTV under oil soaked gasket will last very long. RTV can harden and leak too. So I'll vote for a new set of FelPro PermaSeal gasket, it's only around $14 for 4-cyl and around $40 for V6 online.

Reply to
johngdole

BTW, on some engines there are standoffs on the cover, so no matter how hard you tighten the cover won't go down any more to seal the old gasket.

New rubber gaskets should be applied dry, with dabs of RTV only where specified.

Reply to
johngdole

I have the OEM gaskets from Toyota. They fit into a groove in the valve covers.

I was just wondering if treating them with something would keep them more pliable, but not sure what (if anything) to use. Petroleum jelly? White lithium grease? I dunno...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't know what the gaskets are made of, but petroleum products like petroleum jelly or lithium grease tends to degrade rubber. Since the gaskets reside in an oily environment, they are probably impervious to oil, but I wouldn't test that theory. Install the gaskets on a clean, dry surface, and tighten the valve cover in a star pattern like a head gasket so that there is even pressure on the gasket. Do not over-tighten the nuts or you will smush the gasket and cause leaks, plus if they are not too tight, you will have room to tighten them later.

Reply to
Ray O

I got the real deal from Champion Toyota in Houston. Neoprene, I think?

I cleaned up the mating surface and the grooves in the valve covers really well, and letting them dry overnight. I am going to have to goop that center cover, though. It is metal coated with plastic, like Danny said, but the plastic is mostly gone...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would avoid using regular silicone caulk and use O2 sensor-friendly RTV or FIPG stuff if there is any chance that the fumes will get under the valve covers or into the intake.

Reply to
Ray O

I didn't get the FIPG, but I got Sensor Safe stuff. I always look to make sure! Like you say, you never know where the stuff might end up!

I'm going to put the covers on first, and then use the stuff to fill in the cracks left by the missing plastic...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Also,clean the plastic with rubbing alcohol to get all traces of oil off so that the stuff will stick.

Reply to
Ray O

Used a degreaser. Letting it dry thoroughly overnight before installing the gaskets or goop.

I think perhaps I am obsessing a bit too much. We are talking a 19 year old car here. Even if I do a whiz-bang job on it, how much longer will it last? Esp with a leaking tranny, leaking oil pan, leaking Power Steering hose, no speedometer, tranny that doesn't shift by itself...

It SOUNDS like a wreck, but it looks good and it does RUN good, despite it's problems!

Just shows you why I like Toyotas...even when they have ISSUES, they STILL run like champs!!! And, this one sure is a BLAST to drive!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ya that's what I did too. The valve covers (#1 & #2) should not actually be making any metal to metal contact. The gasket is a big O-ring and the screws for them are outside the seal and rubber isolated also. (Replace the

12 rubber washers if there hard.) It's real easy to see the gap is nice and even if you look close. Just remember the lock-tight, I cant stress how important that is any time you touch one of those screws.

IMHO: Those valve covers are nice. I doubt they would leak even with old gaskets and the screws only finger tight.

That center cover (#3) is just a piece of tin to look good and prevent a possible lake (quart easy) submerging the plugs. Joe race car would not even need it. But if wash the engine to keep it clean it better be water tight.

Reply to
Danny G.

That was (per. TSRM) also a vacuum leak that made the engine run out of tune.

Reply to
Danny G.

GASP!!! Those are RUBBER?!?!?!?

I thought they were metal or something like Bakelite!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku