My 97 Toyota Tercel keeps burning out spark plugs

First noticed last year after long drive of 300 miles straight. Burnt out one spark plug and car bucked like a pony running on 3. Had one coil replaced and changed the spark plugs. Fixed. Now 1 year later, I burn out a plug every month or so after a long drive, or one uphill. I feel like it has something to do with the amount of fuel the plugs are getting. It is stick shift and when the timing between the brake and the clutch is difficult, like going up a steap incline in snow or driving in real racing traffic in NYC then the spark plug burns out (ends burn then break off) under the coil packs only.

***This car has on the engine a sticker requesting only double grounded spark plugs (two arms at end) which I noticed a few months back. The double plug gives the car a lot more power but is burning out quite quickly. Car has 96K. Problems started at 70K. Should I try the new Bosch 4 grounded plug? If it is a fuel problem, how does one adjust the amount of fuel going to the plugs?

Thanks

Reply to
frenchfriedpenguin

Sorry, I can't help but my 97 Tercel 5spd. does the same thing. Had Bosch 2's in it this time and No.1 plug cracked up the side of the insulator. Does this engine burn excessively hot?

Thanks

Reply to
treesrcool

You should try OEM plugs, either Toyota-branded or Denso. There is no way to adjust the amount of fuel going to the plugs. Also, check ignition timing.

Reply to
Ray O

The engine does seem to get quite hot recently. I am wondering if the problem is getting worse. Someone told me that it could be that I shift up gears too early. That is definately a possiblility, but it seems that the times it breaks is after a 4-6 hour drive (and the engine is hot) and I get to a city and actually shifting later since I am accelerating quickly to beat out all the traffic.

treesrcool wrote:

Reply to
frenchfriedpenguin

Besides the obvious cooling system check, as I mentioned before, you may wish to check ignition timing, as well as use OEM plugs.

Reply to
Ray O

==================== Might be helpful to check the EGR system - function is to prevent combustion cylinder temperatures from rising too much. Malfunction can also cause pinging or detonation which is known to fracture plug ends. Plus, the EGR is functioning most at mid range - turned off at idle and full throttle.

Reply to
nospampls2002

==================== Might be helpful to check the EGR system - function is to prevent combustion cylinder temperatures from rising too much. Malfunction can also cause pinging or detonation which is known to fracture plug ends. Plus, the EGR is functioning most at mid range - turned off at idle and full throttle. Additionally, if you're upshifting too soon, and not "winding out" the engine, carbon accumulation may be increased which is one of the primary failure modes for the EGR valve (blocks flow).

Reply to
nospampls2002