Pre-mature tire wear on rear problem

Last year I got 4 new tires, 2 front and 2 rear. BF Goodrich traction t/a.

Seem like nice tires.

In one year I have about 12K miles on them. The car is FWD (Corolla). The front tires have alot of tread, the back are not bald but look like they are about half way there. The front are like new.

I don't tow anything, carry anything heavy, and I got the alignment done right before I got the tires.

I can't imagine what could be the problem. The back have MUCH more wear on them. They'll be bald in 10K miles at this rate.

Usually in a FWD car the front wear more.

Can anyone hazard a guess? I am stumed. TIA.

Reply to
st-bum

One thing that comes to mind, do you do a lot of city driving? I've heard police cruisers dont' get 10k on tires because of all the turning they do.

Maybe how you drive too, and the condition of the roads.

just guessing,

tom @

Tom The Great

Well thanks for reply.

I don't do city driving but I do take corners very fast. Maybe that's it, but the front tires aren't worn. It's odd.

Reply to
st-bum

You can purchase an inexpensive tread depth gauge and measure the remaining tread depth on the front and rear tires. The original tread depth is probably around 10/32" and tires need replacement when to adjacent grooves are at 2/32" or less. Also check air pressure with a gauge.

If the rear tread is evenly worn, then the tires are just wearing quickly. If the inner or outer tread is scalloped or feathered, then the rear toe is misadjusted. If several of the inner or outer treads are worn then camber may be off. If the inner and outer treads are more worn, then the tires were probably under-inflated (the most common cause of premature tread wear). If the tread is scalloped evenly across the tread at even intervals, then the rear shock absorbers may be bad.

Reply to
Ray O

A good service centre will have rotated the wheels front to back for you without asking. Have you had some service work done at some point?

Huw

Reply to
Huw