Tacoma Stereo System

Would it be worth the dough to spring for Toyota's optional upgraded stereo system for the Tacoma, or would I be better off going with a third-party dealer to install a killer sound system? I particularly want to integrate my iPod with the stereo system, and I don't believe Toyota is on board with that yet. Any advice from the audiophiles in the group?

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

AIUI the latest Prius allows you to feed the onboard audio system from an iPod through a socket within the central arm rest. Ideas of that sort tend to spread.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Toyotas have a reputation for building reliable transportation, but I don't think anyone has ever accused a Toyota of having a killer sound system, and I do not think the Taco has a provision in the factory sound system for iPod integration.

Reply to
Ray O

If you can get the truck without it.

When I bought mine, none of the nearby dealers were willing to get me a TRD 4x4 Access Cab without the $200 CD changer. My truck was ordered anyways, because nobody had a loaded truck with a stick, but all of the trucks in the pipeline had the changer. I was finally able to negotiate the overall price I wanted (after 2 weeks), without paying for the radio. The sound isn't great, but it's been good enough to make replacement less of an issue.

I really like the steering wheel controls, so I've been looking at Eclipse aftermarket gear. Eclipse makes the Tacoma radio, so the controls will work. The speakers are weird shaped, so plastic or MDF adaptor rings are necessary to install aftermarket speakers. I'm not really interested in losing my rear bins or any space to a subwoofer (it's a truck that gets used as a truck, not a car ), so I'll have to live without a sub.

I do the same with XM, using a $75 aftermarket aux input that plugged right into the factory head unit.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Is that the PIE Toy-03 adapter? How does it work? Before I shell out $65-85 for the thing, I want to know if it's worth it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have had a LOT of Toyotas, some with National (Panasonic) sound systems and some with Fujitsu-Ten sound systems. Since I replaced the radios in all the ones I bought new, I'not not sure about them, but every Used Toyota that I have bought and replaced the radio on has had a sticker from United Radio in upper NY State, meaning the radio has been warranty serviced!

The 'upgraded' sound system is OK if you just want something to listen to, but for the $300 they (probably) want for the radio, you can go to Best Buy or Circuit City, get free installation and put in a nice CD/MP3 player and some nicer speakers.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It works great for XM. Not perfect, but much better than FM modulators or cassette adaptors (if I even had a cassette deck).

That said, I've heard of issues with it with some MP3 players due to impedance mismatches with the player's output. I "think" the issues were with genuine Ipod players, but I'd have to ask the guy again.

Reply to
B A R R Y

FWIW, the Tacoma 6-disc changer system MSRP's @ ~$200, most sources dealer cost it ~$150.

I haven't found anyone yet who would do a totally free installation, due to the required speaker adapter plates, and a ~$30-40 dash kit. Crutchfield still doesn't list a front door fit for 05+ Access and Double cabs.

So far, the best I've seen, between my local guys and the chains, for a _better sounding_ system (head & speakers, no sub) that still works with the steering wheel controls, including an aux input, completely installed, is more like $600.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I asked the guy, and the issues were with an IRiver MP3 player that didn't have a true "aux" out. He was using the headphone output into the PIE adaptor.

The guy sez' that anything with a real aux or line out" works great.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The only thing to do in this case is turn the volume down as far as it will go and then creep it back up until it overcomes the noise without distorting.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote: >

The issue was noise. The headphone-out of the player was quite noisy, and when set at an output level low enough to sound good into the PIE adapter, the noise floor was too high. This isn't an issue with a headset, as the output is then turned up high enough to drive the transducers, which makes the noise floor seem much lower.

I'm a former touring sound engineer, so I know what you suggest, as well as understand his description of the problem.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. :)

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

LOL! I was an Electronics Tech for 19 years! I know S/N levels and ratios!

I figured when you said "Noise Floor" you knew something about sound! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

On occasion, I used to get hired in to Northhampton and UMASS Amherst.

We've chatted before on this forum.

Reply to
B A R R Y

My local T-pusher's service manager tells me the Prius audio-feed idea is, indeed, spreading and has reached the Aygo (sp?).

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson