windshield replacement questions

Hi all, Last week we got a lot of snow+ice in Boston as many of you probably did too. In chipping out my '89 Corolla SR5 from under 2 inches of solid ice a couple nights ago I was probably too aggressive (in retrospect should not have used my hands/fists to knock the ice sometimes. I was being gentle at first, such as by running the heater at full blast for 30 minutes to try to loosen and melt the ice, but the ice wasn't budging at all), 'cause the next day I noticed a crack running across the entire lower length of the windshield. It does not affect my visibility, but it will not pass inspection in June like this obviously, and I heard that the police may also ticket you if you have a cracked windshield? If not for the ticketing part, then I'd think about waiting under winter's over before replacing the windshield, in case it gets broken again. Driving from Boston to NJ yesterday I noticed a few cars pulled over on the highway with shattered windshields due to ice flying off the top of vans/trucks/SUVs.

I do NOT have comprehensive insurance hence no glass coverage.

How much should I expect to pay to have this done? The "instant price quotes" online come out about $275. I'm aware that almost all windshield replacements are done under people's comprehensive insurance, so the price charged may be high since people are not paying for it directly. Since I don't have comprehensive though, then price is an issue.

What is my best bet to getting this done well and less expensively? My apt's in a wealthier suburban area so I think local shops would have high prices. About 5-10 miles away are some lower-middle-class blue-collar neighborhoods and I was thinking to call them, explain I have no comprehensive coverage, and see what kind of price I can get.

In 2000 I asked a glass shop in New Haven, CT what it costs to replace the Corolla's windshield and they told me $130, but that was a long time ago and I live too far from there now anyhow.

Thanks for your help! John

Reply to
johnyang97

I think $275 is about right for a quality job. If you pay a lot less, then you may be asking for trouble down the road. Check for coupons from the website of the companies that do this to see if you can save a little money.

Also, I would wait until it gets warmer. You want to have this done on a reasonably warm day where you can park your car in the sun for at least 2-4 hours while the glue dries. This will help prevent leaks. Many companies will come to your location (such as where you park your car at work) to do it. You do not want to drive the car until the glue dries.

Reply to
Mark A

In Mass, you can get ticketed for faulty equipment with a broken windshield. I got away with it for about 4 months with a van I hardly drove, but it's still a 'risk' (and, your insurance goes up for this 'infraction'.)

You can try A&R Glass in Southwick, but I don't know if they'll go out that far. You might have to meet them somewhere. They replaced the windshield in my van for

Reply to
Hach

The going rate in Edmonton for a 99 Camry front windshield is $200 CANADIAN...about $170 US. Up here, anyways, claiming your windshield isn't cost productive unless you replace it every year. When I put an endorsement on my insurance to NOT cover front windshield damage caused by flying objects, the comprehensive premiums dropped enough to pay for a new windshield every 2 years. Also, raising your comprehensive deductible to $500 and collision to, say, $1000, really cuts down on insurance costs.

Reply to
sharx35