Yaris Timing Belt Change?

Threaded View

Pardon my "on-topic" post. <G>

The Toyota dealer sent me a flyer in the mail with a number of service
discount coupons in it.

One that caught my eye was:

"Timing Belt Replacement Special" - Timing belt fatigue cannot be
detected.  The stated Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule
indicates this service should be completed at 60,000 miles for 1997 and
earlier model Toyotas and at 90,000 miles for 1998 and later model
Toyotas.

My 2007 Toyota Yaris came with a "Genuine Toyota Service - 2007
Scheduled Maintenance Guide - Passport to Performance".  Under 2007
Cars at 90,000 miles it states "Replace timing belt (Camry Solara with
3MZ-FE)"

So which is it?  Should the Yaris timing belt be changed every 90,000
miles or not?

--

Re: Yaris Timing Belt Change?

I think you answered your own question, there....

90,000 miles....

--
Scott in  Florida

There ought to be one day-- just one--
Re: Yaris Timing Belt Change?

I disagree with Scott...

I think for good measure, you should change it at 89, 999 miles.

ASS!

Re: Yaris Timing Belt Change?

I thought all Toyota 4-bangers currently in production were chain-driven?

Re: Yaris Timing Belt Change?

Check the owner's manual for your car.  I believe that the Yaris has a
timing chain instead of a timing belt and so does not require routine
replacement.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: Yaris Timing Belt Change?

According to the auto channel, the engine has a timing chain in the
1NZ-FE engine: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/12/30/198830.html

So the Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule is correct: On the Camry
Solara with the 3MZ-FE engine, you need to change the belt at 90,000 mi.
You don't have a Solara with the 3MZ-FE engine, so you don't need to
change the timing belt, because you don't have one.

However, you should change the timing chain at some point. I usually
wait until about 9,000,000 mi. I have only 8,855,000 mi to go!

Jeff

Re: Yaris Timing Belt Change?

Thanks, Jeff!  That's great news.

--

Re: Yaris Timing Belt Change?

i think the yaris has essentially the same engine as the echo.
the echo has a timing CHAIN. it doesn't get replaced.
yes, some toyotas may have belts but not the yaris.
check carefully before they scare you into a belt change that doesn't exist.
good luck.

Site Timeline