Yaris Timing Belt Change?

Pardon my "on-topic" post. <G>
The Toyota dealer sent me a flyer in the mail with a number of service discount coupons in it.
One that caught my eye was:
"Timing Belt Replacement Special" - Timing belt fatigue cannot be detected. The stated Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule indicates this service should be completed at 60,000 miles for 1997 and earlier model Toyotas and at 90,000 miles for 1998 and later model Toyotas.
My 2007 Toyota Yaris came with a "Genuine Toyota Service - 2007 Scheduled Maintenance Guide - Passport to Performance". Under 2007 Cars at 90,000 miles it states "Replace timing belt (Camry Solara with 3MZ-FE)"
So which is it? Should the Yaris timing belt be changed every 90,000 miles or not?

I think you answered your own question, there....
90,000 miles....
--
Scott in Florida

There ought to be one day-- just one--
I disagree with Scott...
I think for good measure, you should change it at 89, 999 miles.
ASS!

Michael Golden wrote:

I thought all Toyota 4-bangers currently in production were chain-driven?

Check the owner's manual for your car. I believe that the Yaris has a timing chain instead of a timing belt and so does not require routine replacement.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Michael Golden wrote:

According to the auto channel, the engine has a timing chain in the 1NZ-FE engine: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/12/30/198830.html
So the Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule is correct: On the Camry Solara with the 3MZ-FE engine, you need to change the belt at 90,000 mi. You don't have a Solara with the 3MZ-FE engine, so you don't need to change the timing belt, because you don't have one.
However, you should change the timing chain at some point. I usually wait until about 9,000,000 mi. I have only 8,855,000 mi to go!
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Thanks, Jeff! That's great news.
i think the yaris has essentially the same engine as the echo. the echo has a timing CHAIN. it doesn't get replaced. yes, some toyotas may have belts but not the yaris. check carefully before they scare you into a belt change that doesn't exist. good luck.