takes multiple tries to open the hood of 1994 camry

This started a few years ago when the car lost battery power in a snowy nig= ht. Because the ice built around the edge of the hood, I had hard time open= ing. I over stretched the release button a few times (cleaning up the ice a= round the hood too) and got it open. Since then, the hood gradually became = harder to open. Usually I pull the release one time. Go out and pull the ho= od. Nothing happens. I would release it a few more times and go out and pul= l. Usually it takes a least 2 to 3 tires in order to open the hood. I'm wor= ried that it may never open one day in the future if I need a minor mainten= ance.

Is there a fix I can do? I would not want to spend any extra money on this = old car.

Thanks,

Reply to
cpliu

Because the ice built around the edge of the hood, I had hard time opening. I over stretched the release button a few times (cleaning up the ice around the hood too) and got it open. Since then, the hood gradually became harder to open. Usually I pull the release one time. Go out and pull the hood. Nothing happens. I would release it a few more times and go out and pull. Usually it takes a least 2 to 3 tires in order to open the hood. I'm worried that it may never open one day in the future if I need a minor maintenance.

car.

Oil the hinges, and anything that pivots that are part of the hinges.

If the latch does't always release the hood, oil the latch

If oiling isn't enough and the problem is worse in cold weather, consider replacing one or both gas struts, if your car uses them, although I really should check if the struts do much lifting when the hood is just above its resting place. On my new 2000 Solara, the struts won't hold the hood up until I lift the hood almost to "up".

I'll tell you what not to do. When ice weighed down my hood two winters ago and I had to open the hood to press the reset buttton on my Battery Buddy, I pounded on the ice, with my bare hands, and certainly not as hard as I might have. A few weeks later, when the light was right, I noticed 5 or 10 dents I had put in the hood!

Above a frood frame member, so I coudln't push them out. Not a Toyota, but I don't think the sheet metal on Toyotas is any thicker or stronger.

Reply to
micky
********** Better to worry about it now, and do something while you can still get it open easily. ***********

Is there a fix I can do? I would not want to spend any extra money on this old car.

******* "Fix" may involve replacing bent or worn parts in this hood latch release system. "Bandaid" might just mean lubricating the release cable inside the sleeve and the other parts where needed. Lubrication could last a long time. *******
Reply to
hls