Towing with 2003 Camry LE 4 cyl

I was planning on fitting a trailer hitch to the above car. The car has a tow rating of 2000 lbs. The boat / trailer combination I was planning on using weighs 1600lbs. I am not really towing, instead, just launching a boat from a ramp that is about 100 yrds away. Is the car up to this task? Is there any special equipment I should also add to help the car last?

Has anyone else done similar with a Camry of any sorts and suffered any long term problems because of it?

Thanks for any info provided.

Reply to
BrEK

Towing 100ft no problem , If is 100 ft.....

Reply to
mark Ransley

My 1989 Camry is rated at 1,000 lbs towing & I've towed my boat with it for quite some time. The tranny went at 220,000 km, again at 340,000 km and the car is at 370,000 km now.

So when did Camry towing capacity go up to 2,000 lbs?

The Highlander equipped with the same 2.4 L 4 cyl. with 155HP & 163 lb-ft of torque has a maximum tow capacity of 1500lbs. So you can pull 1600lbs but don't do it over a long period of time.

Reply to
Mol1

I put a Hidden Hitch on my 2002 LE just to tow a utility trailer around the city. No Probs except for the design of the hitch. There is nothing "HIDDEN" about this Hidden Hitch. They had to build it around the tail pipe so they went underneath instead of over the top. Therefore it hangs low and catches ground on certain inclines such as steep driveways or normal driveways if you have people in the back. As far as I can see, Hidden Hitch is the only company that has an application for the newer Camry's. Front wheels drives were not designed to really tow anything. Hard on the front end. So I wouldn't be towing anything very far.

Reply to
P J H

I towed extensively with a utility trailer that loaded weighed about 600 lbs with my 1990 v6 camry/auto and never had a problem. I tow now a 15ft aluminum boat with my 97 Camry 4 cylinder without a problem and the boat/trailer/motor weighs about 600 lbs. I would not go over 1000 lbs which is what they are rated for I think..I use Drawtite Hitches. IF you are just going to launch it I think you will be just fine.

Reply to
ROBMURR