What is the correct tire rotation?

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Bruce L. Bergman being of bellicose mind posted:

Hahhahaa! That's FUNNY, Bruce. IN thirteen years I had the Prizm (first car I owned with a "space saver" spare), I used that tire twice in 285k miles ... and probably for a total of 40 miles. It showed no ... no ... signs of dry rot. Good grief, Bruce!

What are you talking about? When you have a teeny bit of dynamic toe-in and/or positive camber on the front drive tires, the outboard tread will wear just a wee bit faster than the inboard tread ... regardless of how you rotate the tires. It is also typical to have rear wheels on an FWD car set up for a small amount of static toe-in which results in a very slightly increase outboard tread wear.

Since space saver tires are the norm for many economy cars, I have only to concern myself with four wheel rotations on this Corolla. Back when I owned only RWD cars, the rotation schedule was still back to front, same side, no crossing. The spare became whatever old tire happened to end up in the trunk. I have NEVER bought a set of 5 tires.

Reply to
Philip®

Personally, I do the same thing. Although, I'm proud to say I still don't own any FWD vehicles. What I like to do with the space saver spare is remove it from the trunk. I then obtain a replacement wheel that's the proper size with the properly-sized tire on it and put that in the trunk instead. Sure, it takes a bit more room, but I don't ever have to worry about getting a flat out on a roadtrip. I don't know if that would work with a car smaller than a celica, though.

Reply to
Celica Dude

In news:4sPSb.5973$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net, Celica Dude being of bellicose mind posted:

Both this 2003 Corolla and my last FWD car ('90 Prizm) have the same sized wheel as the "four on the ground" and both cars have sufficient space in the storage well for a standard sized tire mounted on that wheel. Now ... cars ordered with cast wheels likely get the standard steel wheel and space saver tire.

Reply to
Philip®

Hi,

mainly the outer , not inner and I run them at 35psi as per the tyre manufacturer recommendation, not Toyota's.

Was tempted to try higher pressure but steering felt a bit "light" at 37psi.

Think the alignment had a lot to do with it, but they were fine until I swapped them over - no large bumps / knocks etc in the meantime either.

rgds

Peter

Reply to
Peter