1997 4Runner tire recommendations?

Any advice is really apreciated. I've got a 1997 4WD 6 cyl. 4Runner with 90k on it. I need to replace my last set of tires, which are BF Goodrich Dueler A/T's P265/70r16's. I am mostly local/highway, but I actually do take it off road for fun when I get a chance, which is still only about once every 1-2 months. In addition, I do a lot of boat trailering, which means launching on slippery ramps. I'm in Florida, so wet conditions are important, but not snow.

These tires have worked well offroad, and seemed to have good wet/dry traction. However, I was bothered by the amount of road noise that they gave off, especially since they are supposed to be a quiter tire according to Firestone. Just the knobby noise on the road, not an alignment situation.

The noise bothers me enough that I'd like to consider a different tire now. The local Goodyear thinks that the Dunlop Rover A/T's would be ideal for me. They might be, but I'd like to hear from other folks out there with unbiased knowledge. Soon if possible, since there's a sale that ends in 5 days!

To summarize:

Looking for excellent wet/dry traction, good offroad capabilities, but quiet.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Kevin Oppenheimer

I need to replace my last set of tires, which are BF

Those are a Bridgestone tire not BFG

Reply to
The Gunslinger

Check this:

Ken Shelton

Michelin X Radial LT from Costco or Sam's Club are truly an excellent tire. There identical to the costlier Michelin LTX M/S truck tire available at other retail outlets, but warranty claims must be made through Costco/Sam's (normal retail warranty is honored at all Michelin dealers). You'll save up to $50/tire by getting them from Costco/Sam's. They're about $120 apiece for the 31x10.5 size.

Reply to
Finnbow

Costco frequently has sale coupons too --- buy 4 and get $40-60 off. Their free included hazzard warranty has saved me twice (sidewall punctures).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Kevin,

First chance I had on my 98, I pulled off the 265-70-16's and put 275-70-16 in a Michelin LTX "H" This is the OEM tire on the LandCruiser and every LandCruiser I've driven in has left me impressed by the ride.

40,000 miles later, I can still say, it was the single best addition to the truck. I will add, I used to work in the tire industry for many years and have put thousands of miles on every All-Ter tire out there, including the Dunlop. Dunlop will be a tad more aggressive off-road, and noisier, but near as bad as a BFG AT.

What's nice about this fitment is it gives the truck a slightly more aggressive appearance. My wife never noticed, but all my 4wd buddies see it well. The tires are the quietest you can find, and honestly, you can't beat a Michelin on ride and smoothness. (difference between clamshell vs segmented moldings durring the manufacture of a tire) Pirelli uses a similar technique on the Scorpions (another fine tire). Last, because this tire has an "H" speed rating, it has terrific on-road handling, in the turns and in bad weather.

Off-road. Well, let's just say, it's no "44 inch Mud Digger Dog Digger", but it is a welcome enhancement over the stock rubber, and many of the AT tires on the market. I'll take it anywhere off-road, but because it isn't as aggresive as the Dunlop, you might find the Dunlop as a bit better in deep mud. It has wider grooves, so it will do better at self-cleaning the mud.

So, I have another 20K left on these, and I'll certanily replace them with the same.

Reply to
greg.jensen

oh...the negative. Forgot to point out.

The one negative is price. You will find them to be one of the more expensive tires on the market. Don't settle for that Michelin Cross-Terrain tire. It is a sore substitute, and nowhere near the contsruction, durrability and ride of this one. The CT tire is just a tall "car tire" with a heavier load rating. So, if you are very cost sensitive these days, look back at the Dunlop, but Tire Rack will get you a good price on the Michelin too.

Reply to
greg.jensen