98 tacoma 2WD 4cyl engine cutting out upon acceleration

My engine will "cut out" while trying to take off in 1st gear (manual tran). It will essentially cut just about completely out, then quickly pick back up... this results in a "bucking" action that throws me forward and back. It does it less intensely in 2nd gear, then virtually disappears in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. It appears to do it worse on warmer days or after I have driven it for a while. I am not sure where to even start with a self diagnosis, but would like to check any thing I can before taking it into a shop. I am somewhat mechanically adept... I have replaced starters, alternators, master cylinder, water pumps... although not without a fair amount of frustration.

The truck did sit up unused for about a year, then again for about 6 months after the starter failed and the one I put in was faulty. I finally had a shop put another starter in (what a pain to get to on this engine!!) and it ran with no symptoms for 3 or 4 days (after the

6 month non-use period). Now the "cutting-out" activity is starting again. My temperature gauge just started fluctuating drastically between mid-way and hot. I suspect this is the thermostat, and wonder if the 2 things are related. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
rich3355

Thermostat is $15 so do that first. Is there water in gas or old gas from sitting? Might want to hange fuel filter too (sine it ran ok for few days - anbe its clouged up and causing it to run ery lean). Add can of Chevron Techron to lean injetors - $10 Clean the throttle body. Have you checked the compression?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for the reply! I got the thermostat, and I will try to change it this weekend. The gas tank was dropped and cleaned out after the initial long period of non-use, but not after the 6 month period. I've just put in some standard (STP?) gas treatment. I've got a fuel filter, though and may attempt it this weekend, also. It's under the intake manifold, which is kind of daunting. I haven't checked the compression... and that's a task that I've never done, so I'll have to check my book to see what all is involved. Thanks again for your response, and I'll post back with the results.

Reply to
rich3355

when I replaced my throttle sensor (97 2.7L 4wd) the toyota parts desk guy indicated that they sold lots of them. it caused hesitation or "missing" somewhat like you speak of...

Reply to
tbuggle

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to consider the TPS, also. I do have some info to add, though. I flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat. That cleared up the problem with the temperature gauge fluctuating, and the cutting-out symptoms also stopped. Now that it is Spring Time, the weather is warming up, and the cutting-out symptom is returning. As long as the weather is relatively cool, it doesn't appear, but if the weather temperature reaches 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit (or higher) the symptom returns. It appears to be definitely heat related, but I don't have any idea what the heat could be affecting. It doesn't seem like it would affect the TPS... am I wrong about this?

Reply to
rich3355