Jumping out of 3rd

Lately, when I shift down from 4th to 3rd, it jumps out of 3rd. It doesn't happen in any other gear and doesn't jump out when it's under power. My truck is an '85 SR5 Extra Cab with 2wheel drive and a 5speed and the 22RE engine. Any ideas what's going wrong? Any suggestions other than rebuild the tranny. The truck has 225,000 miles so I suppose I should be expecting some trouble any time now. It doesn't jump out of any other gear and it doesn't jump out of third very often. One of my neighbors told me that it could be the bushing on the end of the shifter but he said he was just guessing and that he has never had a Toyota so it was just a wild guess. Does it sound to you that it could be just a bushing? Or what? TIA Jerry

PS If you wish to answer this via e:mail, just take one of the zeroes out of my return address.

Reply to
Jerry

That's a very common problem with Toyota manual transmissions. I would bet your shifter seat has deteriorated and broken. The good news is that it can most likely be fixed in about an hour with about $15-20 worth of parts.

My 1998 Tacoma began jumping out of third a couple of years ago. I replaced the shifter seat and socket and it has not jumped out a single time since. My shifter seat had broken into about 100 pieces. I actually had to vacuum the pieces out. Marlin Crawler makes a heavy duty shifter seat that is better, in my opinion, than the ones made by Toyota. You can find the parts here:

's a relatively easy repair and the steps can be easily found online.

Reply to
Steve Murphree

you can get a rebuild kit for under $200. with that kind of mileage, you really want to. one day it will just lock up. i know this from personal expirience. i bet you never changed the transmission oil. yes, you need to do that on a manual transmission. it's the best thing you can do to keep the drivetrain working. you know to check the u joints when you do the tranny?

Reply to
someone

From what I remember you have a worn or bent shift fork. If it has been going on for long you may also have a worn shift "collar" - the part the shift fork moves back and forth to select 3rd or 4th gear. (But it's been almost 20 years since I've had an '85 Toyota 5 speed apart (4 speed basically the same parts in that area of the tranny)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I 2nd Steve's advice! It can be done from inside the cab, and only requires the removal of the shifter. Getting the carpet out of the way will be the biggest part of the job. Instructions are at the Marlin Crawler website.

Good Luck

Steve Murphree wrote:

Reply to
Jeff