Tacoma 2008 V6 Gas requirement

Buying a 2008 Tacoma, 6 cyl. 2wheel drive, manual. I have heard you need to use 90 octane. Is this true?

Reply to
R/C Foster

My 2005 V6 gets better enough mileage on 91+ that it's cheaper per mile than 87. I can drive 300 miles for less money on 93 than 87, even though 87 is cheaper gas.

Toyota "recommends" 91+, but allows 87, so you can make the choice. You can check the manual yourself at any dealer.

Think beyond the per gallon price...

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Very ture. I can get (sorry only know metric measurments) 14.5L/100kms on 91 Octane with 10% Ethanol. If I dont use ethenol (@91Oct) I get 13.4ish per

100kms. If i use 98 Oct I get 12.6L/100kms. The extra 10cents per litre I pay gets outweighed by the additional power and economy I get with better fuels.

Then again if I was paying per litre what you pay in the States Id be driving a gas guzzling 6.0l V8 instead of a 3.6l V6!

Todays price at the pump is $1.38.9/Litre for standard (Non ethanol) 91 Octane.

Reply to
Scotty

The 07 uses plain old regular.

Reply to
DanG

The manual no longer "recommends" premium for better performance?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Scotty just curious!!! England or Down Under??? $5.50 for premium? Wow we do have it good in the USA

Reply to
TopHaT

Some cars the math works and you save money running on Premium fuel, but on most it does not.

Thats Australia? Let's see, 3.78 liters to the gallon... If you already did an Aus$ to US$ conversion that would be $5.25 gal - high but not that far out of line depending on whether you are in an urban or rural area. Check again in that "Last Gas for 100KM" spot in the Outback and it'll be even higher from the low sales volume and added transportation costs.

Now figure out how much of that is taxes and tariffs, and the base price is pretty much the same around the world - you have to pump it, move it, refine it, and move it again, and the transportation is the big variable. Every time a drop of crude oil or refined fuel is handled and moves to the next stop on it's journey to you, whether by ship, train, pipeline, tank truck or drum, that adds more delivery costs. And in Europe they grab Value Added Tax at every step.

And remember you guys use the Research Octane rating, and our "Pump Octane" is (Research+Motor)/2 which is why the numbers are lower.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Mine doesn't. Some of the other v6 models do.

Reply to
DanG

Interesting... I wonder if they're tuning the engine differently for certain models.

Thanks for the reply!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Beats me. I know the Cruiser has a premium recommendation, but a Tacoma with the same engine and tranny does not.

Reply to
DanG

| >Mine doesn't. Some of the other v6 models do. | >

| | Interesting... I wonder if they're tuning the engine differently for | certain models. | | Thanks for the reply! |

According to my dealer the engine senses pre-ignition (pinging or knocking) via a detector and the computer retards the ignition timing accordingly. Therefore, higher octane gets more ignition advance and higher performance. The spokesman was not clear on whether higher octane would get better gas mileage though.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Australia, today its gone up to $1.39.9 Litre

Reply to
Scotty

Today was $3.37 for premium 93 octane Miami, FL

Reply to
TopHaT