Toyota to replace Jeep Cherokee?

Right now I have Jeep Cherokees (2 x 1987) and am looking to upgrade. I can get a 1994 Cherokee for around $4k if I can find one. I am in Denver area.

Complaints about Cherokee are low power (I drive between 6,000 and 11,000 feet above sea level), not so great mileage (20 mpg on a good day) and poor towing capacity (snowmobile trailer w/2 sleds). Cherokees have about

180-190k miles on them.

Chains don't fit well on rear wheels - low fender clearance, low spring clearance (leaf springs).

Engine compartment is tight, cargo capacity is OK. Off-road capability is good.

I am looking for 5-speed manual, maybe a more modern engine (24 valves?) than the straight six in the Cherokee. Cherokee supposedly has 177 HP, newer (HO) engines have 190, I think.

I know little about the Toyotas. Where can I find specs on 1990-1994

4-runners like weight, power, etc.

Anyone here have owned both?

Thanks in advance,

Charles.

Reply to
Charles Stoyer

That second generation of 4Runner also included 1995 if I'm not mistaken

has a 4Runnertimeline) I found a spec sheet on the 95 year but haven't dug much on the web for the prior years.
I know you've not asked for info on the 1996, but here goes anyway. It was the start of the third generation, and is the year of 4Runner I have. They have more cargo area than prior years and more backseat legroom. Manual tranny seems to be a rarity and in high demand for any year, but we managed to get one. No complaints on snow chain installation from me, but then I don't know what's considered hard and what's easy since this is the only vehicle I've ever put chains on. ;) The 2.7 litre 4cyl in 1996 actually has more torque than the earlier v-6's IIRC (96's v-6 has more power than earlier as well.
My mileage per gallon is pretty close if not dead on what this spec sheetshows:
and I'veproof to back it up. The past 4 years of fill-ups documented in a notebookand calculated in a spreadsheet (ok, I got bored one day and played withMicrosoft Works.) Haven't had to work on the engine, but it's not too cramped in there, easy to change the oil, etc.

If you don't like the lack of power in your old Cherokees, you might want to stick with 1996 4Runner and later. The price might not be all that low however. Toyotas seem to hold their value.

BTW: The 1994 Jeep's specs

show it to have more torque than my dinky 4 cyl andeither of the v-6's. Might not be the most important thing on your peevelist though.

Reply to
Pookerz

I've had both ('94 4runner SR5 and 1991 Larado Limited).

In the Jeep I had problems with lack of power for accelaration from stop to interstate speeds and nearly non-existant towing power versus excellent acceleration on the 4runner and decent towing power. The 4runner had virtually nothing for rear legroom, but cargo space on both vehicles was decent. I had numerous transmition and transfer case problems with the Jeep and nary a one with the 4runner. As for gas milage, neither were very good... the Jeep got about 18 to 20 and the 4runner averaged around 21-22..

But that being said, the Jeep was ready for retirement after about 4 years where as every Toyota I've ever had you can beat it into the ground and it will come back begging for more for years!

Reply to
Raksashan

"Charles Stoyer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4dv.net:

You can find lots of 'yota details at

2nd generation has a 3.0 liter that is semi-affectionately called a 3.slow. Not a speed demon. It also quaffs gas instead of sipping it. You might be better off with a 3rd gen unless you are handy and want to maybe do an engine swap (which I'm contemplating if my 3.slow ever dies.)
Reply to
Rich

you can get a bunch of info from the guys at yotatech.com or

4x4wire.com. but in general, the 1990-1994 4runners fall in the 2nd generation (1990-1995). they had two options for the engine: 22re: 4cyl about 120hp if you're lucky. but it's a bullet proof engine. i have an '89 4runner (1st generation) with a 22re with 228K miles and it has never given me any problems. i live in longmont, so i drive into the mountains with it. heading up towards the eisenhour tunnel i need to use 3rd gear much more than you'd think, and i spend alot of time under 50mph, but i never worry about getting stuck or anything. 3vze: v-6 about 150hp. it's not as bullet proof, they had a head gasket recall which toyota was really good about. it's a nice engine, but more complicated than the 22re, so more things to break.

neither engine has a whole lot of power, but both are better than the I-6 from jeep. if you want gobs of power to tow stuff up I-70, then you're gonna need to get an F-250 or an excursion diesel.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

you can get a bunch of info from the guys at yotatech.com or

4x4wire.com. but in general, the 1990-1994 4runners fall in the 2nd generation (1990-1995). they had two options for the engine: 22re: 4cyl about 120hp if you're lucky. but it's a bullet proof engine. i have an '89 4runner (1st generation) with a 22re with 228K miles and it has never given me any problems. i live in longmont, so i drive into the mountains with it. heading up towards the eisenhour tunnel i need to use 3rd gear much more than you'd think, and i spend alot of time under 50mph, but i never worry about getting stuck or anything. 3vze: v-6 about 150hp. it's not as bullet proof, they had a head gasket recall which toyota was really good about. it's a nice engine, but more complicated than the 22re, so more things to break.

neither engine has a whole lot of power, but both are more reliable than the I-6 from jeep. if you want gobs of power to tow stuff up I-70, then you're gonna need to get an F-250 or an excursion diesel.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

I have 2 4runners, one with the 22re and one with the V-6. I also have an I-6 Cherokee. Neither of the 4runners have the power of the I-6. The *only* good thing about the Cherokee is the I-6.

Reply to
chuck