'74 Super battery problem

My wife's '74 has me scratching my head for awhile now. The battery will die with no warning or reason, and when I jump start the car it works fine for several months. I have since then replaced the battery and alternator. Works fine and all voltage measurements are good after each repair and jump start. Is there some place I should look next?

Reply to
carl mciver

You replaced the Alt. With an internally regulated one? Or external and you re-used the old regulator?

If it were mine, I would jury rig a voltmeter on the back seat (or somewhere) to monitor charging voltage all the time. Make sure that under the heaviest loads the battery voltage stays at ~13.5V or so.

Battery charging is tricky. Most new regulators assume the battery only needs a little topping up after cranking. If it consistently gets heavily discharged, the alternator may not put enough bulk charge back in.

If it was charging right up to time of failure again, then test for battery drain overnight. Seems unlikely there would be an intermittent drain though.

Of course, there is the stock advice to check all cables and connections, including the ground strap on the tranny.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

How about the 6v units?? When i put on the headlights and windscreen wiper the voltage drops to about

4.5v (idle) leaving no juse left for the horn and semaphores. This is, to my opinion, not normal... is it?

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Voltage drop is a much bigger problem on 6V cars. Every connection has to be tight and free of corrosion. Fuses too. On early cars the Headlight switch fed power to *evrything* and there was often voltage drop in the switch terminals.

Best method is to actually measure the voltage at each point along the way and find out where the major drop is occurring. Check voltage right at the battery too (with all accessories running) to be sure dynamo can maintain ~6.8V

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks, will do (in time...:-)

Roger

"Speedy Jim" schreef in bericht news:9c49$426bbb50$d8900a72$ snipped-for-privacy@NLS.NET...

Reply to
bug '59

System voltage at idle doesn't really tell you anything about the charging system, because the generator doesn't start to put out anything until it gets a bit above idle.

4.5V at idle means either that the battery is in poor shape, or that you have some bad connections which are giving you a lot of voltage drop, or your meter is out of calibration. -

Jim Adney

check the earthing. mine has that problem. whenever i hit the horn, it would give me a shock! not that great but its bad enough. anyway, my cousin's mini cooper 73 had the same problem. it was due to a faulty immobilizer which has an awful earthing. regards, dev

Reply to
haridev