Starting a 74 super

It seems like there's quite a bit of people having starting issues. Well here's mine. If I try starting it, I don't get a click or any turning of the starter. If I have my lights on though, I do notice a drop in power to the lights. So I'm thinking that the ignition switch is ok, and that it's probably the starter. A few weeks back, I jumped the terminals of the starter/solenoid and after a big ol' spark, I tried restarting from the drivers seat and lo and behold, she started right up. I'm thinking I might need to clean the solenoid, or hopefully not, replace the starter. Any other ideas? Thanks.

-John

***Proud co-owner of "cinnamon" ******A 1974 Super Beetle******
Reply to
halcyonic88

"halcyonic88" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Sounds a lot like my starting problem posted yesterday. I indeed do think (as some mentioned before) it is a bad or corroded connection somewhere. Haven't checked it yet since i'm bussy plastering the attic, but will check it before the 'winterstop'. let us know what comes out....

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Don't rule out the Ignition switch.

Look under the back seat (left side) for the plastic splice with the Red wire to a Red/Blk wire. Next time it won't crank, jumper that connection to battery + post. (Shift in Neutral!)

If it cranks with the jumper, the starter is OK and I would suspect Ignition sw.

If it comes down to that, know that there were 2 completely different ignition switch setups in '74 and how you get to it is different.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

To test if it's a connection problem between the starter and switch - remove the back seat. There's a big fat wire coming in from the firewall towards the passenger side. It probably has a simple join-connector. Pull it out of the connector. Put a FAT wire into the connector from the firewall and touch it to the + side of your battery. If it turns over energetically, the problem is in the wiring.

(Ah, be sure the tranny is in neutral.)

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

I tried doing that, and I got some sparks, but it didn't crank. So I believe that I should suspect the starter motor? Again, thanks for the help. Any suggestions about cleaning vs a new starter?

Reply to
halcyonic88

Hi Jim,

What about the early models? There is only 1 wire near the battery, a + and a bare ground strap. There are on the ignition switch 3 terminals with wires on them. Should i jump it there or right at the starter? I forgot to mention that the taillight gave problems earlier this summer due to a bad ground connection. Of course taillights are not related to starters but might tell me that i didn't connect it properly.

Thanks Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Jump it at the starter first, like this:

'59 starter may look a little different.)

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Dave Hall (UK) has a nice page about starters:

Don't forget the pinion shaft bushing which is in the bellhousing. Have a look at it when the starter is out. If egg-shaped, the gears will bind up.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim,

It's a big help to visualise it, could not find it on your webpage though. Last minute made??

Thanks again, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

LOL. Geheimnis. Jim