Disc brakes still squealing....

Ok. I've put anti squeal coupound on the back of the pads. I've replaced the rear brake shoes and all springs and hardware and fixed and adjusted the e-brake so I know the sound is not coming from the rear brakes. I've put shims on the back of the brake pads. Could the squealing POSSIBLY be related to the one piece "spring" that keeps the pad-holding pins in the caliper? Might the brake pads be playing this spring like a violin string? This spring does touch the top of the pads, in fact that is where it is compressed against to gain force to hold the pins in the caliper. Can I take out the spring, and find another way to hold the pins in? Or is that spring supposed to suppress rattling or something? Here is a top-view of the spring. The pins go across the top and bottom sections, while the pads are below, and touching, the left and right sections providing the force to hold the pins in the caliper. Thanks for any help.

|--| | | ____| |___ | Spring |

----- ---- | | | | |__|

Reply to
Anthony

Did you turn the rotors when you replaced the disc pads? If not, your new pads could be squealing because they are adjusting to the irregular rotor surface. Try using some medium sand paper on the rotor surface to lightly scuff them up.

Reply to
Bill S

Are the new pads semi-metallic? If so, they may squeak till the piece of metal in the pad wears down. Should not take long.

Reply to
TerryB

Thanks for the replies, but I suppose I should have mentioned that this was a new kit using ghia parts for the front brakes. So the rotors and pads and calipers etc. are all brand new. (well it was in for about a month before the squealing started.) The rotors are beautiful, and should not need resurfacing. I have yet to try the high temp grease around the pads. I guess that's the next thing. Thanks for the help, and I will appreciate any more comments.

Reply to
Anthony