Electrical Problem Solved 6v slow start

It's been over a week of checking the electrical circuit with a volt meter. With the advice of this group, I was able to perform a trace check. Only it wasn't anything anyone suggested, as I had triple checked everything that could possibly be checked, and the funny thing is, everything checked out A-OK. I was just about ready to give up, when I thought I see how old the battery was. I wiped off the grease to see the month, Oct. 1, then I wiped more of the grease to check the year, to my surprise, it read 1975 (29+ year old battery). I could believe it, because it was putting out 6.32v. In anycase I put in a new battery 6v, and no more starting problems, at least for now.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

That's actually pretty impressive the battery lasted for so long! I thought my parents Toyota did well after 12 years.

Make sure that you either fit the original cover (if you have it), or some rubber sheet over the top of the battery - you don't want it to short out on the seat springs.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Funny that you mentioned battery cover. When I was doing electricial checks I didn't have the cover on for test rides to charge the battery (old battery that is). The cover strap grounded the positive side of the battery and when I checked voltage the next morning it read zero. I purchased a 6v battery from Bugformance in San Jose, CA, one that I know would fit and cover could be used. It's also important to keep the plastic shield intact after installing the postive cable before putting on the cover.

The 66 Beetle I purchased had a little over 72, 000 miles, complete original, always garaged, CA car. The lady was 84 years old and drove it very little. I took it down to DMV paid $27.in registration fees, $3. transfer fee, and the last registration was in 1969.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

Bwahahaaha. I'm surprised it had any voltage at all. Don't you hate when it's just something simple that you've overlooked?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Troubleshooting did take a lot out of me, mostly mental. I remember my wife saying in the early stages of electrical tracing; "did you check the battery?" To add insult to injury, I was in the garage with my voltmeter yesterday, and Bev (my wife) drives up, she rolls down the window and says: "do you know what today is?" Dumb me says; "ah Monday?" as I was desperately going through B-day dates in my head. She said; "get dressed, we're going out to dinner!" Finally it hit me, it was wedding anniversary, that was close, one foot in the "Dog House". Pretty shocking experience.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in news:d2c507$ap9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.Stanford.EDU:

Well it has happened 28 times, and you still forgot?? LOL

Men.

Oh that would be me too........RIGHT!!! I had an out of man's body moment there, sorry!

Reply to
TerryB

Yea, as my wife says, "MEN, can't live with them, can't live without them!" After all these years of marriage, I could probably count the romantic times in the past year on my left hand...but on our anniversary, I could honestly say I did get my battery charged.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima