ENGINE TYPE

I JUST PURCHASED A 74 SUPER BEETLE AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT SIZE MOTOR IT HAS. ALSO MY UNCLE PASSED ON TO ME A 59 BEETLE I ALSO WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT SIZE MOTOR IT HAS . I APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET ON THIS MATTER

-- tpena64

View this thread:

Send from

tpena64

SIZE MOTOR IT HAS. ALSO MY UNCLE PASSED ON TO ME A 59 BEETLE I ALSO WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT SIZE MOTOR IT HAS . I APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET ON THIS MATTER.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

MOTOR IT HAS. ALSO MY UNCLE PASSED ON TO ME A 59 BEETLE I ALSO WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT SIZE MOTOR IT HAS . I APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET ON THIS MATTER.

Welcome!

This page has a nice description:

Btw, please turn your cap lock off. Typing in uppercase is harder to read and is generally considered screaming.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

SIZE MOTOR IT HAS. ALSO MY UNCLE PASSED ON TO ME A 59 BEETLE I ALSO WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT SIZE MOTOR IT HAS . I APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET ON THIS MATTER.

Please don't write in capital letters. It is considered YELLING on the internet and in the newsgroups. Very unpolite. I'm sure you didn't know so I'm just informing you.

What size the engine *used* to be when new, can be determined from the engine code. Find out what the engine serial number is, and look it up. (or post it here and we will tell you).

Engine codes for aircooled VW models:

What size the engine REALLY is, is impossible to tell without partial teardown. Who knows what has been done to it during it's life. Most have been rebuilt, and it is very easy to throw in oversize cylinders and pistons. A 1300cc VW beetle engine can be built to 3000cc in size.. and no one could tell by looking at it :D

Also the car the engine sits in, is not an indication of engine manufacture year or size, because the engines get replaced a lot. It's likely that neither of these cars have their original engine. Any VW beetle engine from 1968 to 2003 would fit right in your 74. The older ones would fit too, with some minor modification. That brings us to any engine from 6-7 decades.... :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson