I have a 1974 Super Beetle

I have a 1974 Super Beetle I adopted six years ago when I married my wife. It was her second car and didn't get driven much when I married her, now it's been in the garage for 5 years and hasn't been started since.

I'm thinking it's kind of cool and would like to put some time and money into it and get it running. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have some automotive history. I would imagine that I need to get gasket kit of the engine and carb. Also do a fuel system flush.

What I don't know is if there is anything that would surprise me and most of all some advice on this so I don't get frustrated and just through a tarp back over the thing.

Thanks Guys!

Derek

Reply to
Derek

NOTE: See Chad Irby's post today about engine fire on a similar car.

Leave the carb alone. While you're replacing the fuel hoses, pour fresh fuel into the carb inlet fuel hose to refill the bowl. That will go a long way to getting it started.

You *might* want to drain the tank. Figure out what you'll safely do with the old fuel first. '74 Super doesn't have a strainer inside the tank, but there may be an in-line filter under the tank.

Blow out the steel fuel line that runs from front to rear. Often they get filled with varnish after sitting.

No engine gaskets, other than the valve covers and oil change gaskets. If the engine ran before, leave the valves alone (for now at least).

If you decide to change the oil, be gentle; the tiny studs are easily broken or stripped.

Will the car roll?? Hopefully it wasn't parked with the handbrake on as that can seize the brakes up.

Most likely the ignition points won't fire due to corrosion on them. Drag a fine crocus cloth between them or just rub them against each other to break any corrosion.

New battery, I would imagine.

Last step: Buy *some* kind of manual. The John Muir Idiot Guide is easy to understand and helpful. Lots of other titles around. Search eBay for: VW Manual as a start. Or Amazon.com

Go for it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It's good to see that some people are beginning to drive their old beetles again!!! :-) You will find a lot of information on this newsgroup and people with a lot of knowledge to help you.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

"Again?"

(Bought my '74 a dozen or so years back, haven't had any other car... she's got something over 330,000 miles on her.)

By the way - here's some pics of my car, one from Xmas 2004, one from Xmas 2005, and one sad pic from a couple of weeks back (no, I didn't drive with the extra lights on there):

Reply to
Chad Irby

Our '71 standard bug has 290,000+ miles on it, and it is used 2-3 days per week.

Fweem.

Reply to
Dave Tosi