My new RAT motor just went in today.

1/2 of the exhaust is done. Maybe by Friday I'll be driving??
Reply to
David Gravereaux

That car is going to Fly. I have a slighty hopped up 914 2000 cc and it is amazing fast at highway speeds. Actually I do not want to go as fast as it can go. My car can't go as fast as the motor cam propel it.

If you want to see a monster exhaust check out the one I got from the UK. It is the only one in the US. All stainless

photo as the car was being built. Just click below the photos.As for the clutch. what did you use. I have a 210mm standard clutchand it is ok. Well I guess not if you are in a traffic jam. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

I NEED to drop my front and get an airdam. I'm worried. Especially with a Super being so sensitive. In the meantime, 160lbs of sand ought to do to drop it. I can't wait to see how quick she is. August 1st local car show happening.. I'm aiming for it :)

That's huge.

It feels like a ford tractor I used to drive.. I think it's a kennedy

1700 lbs one, not sure though... will look. The big problem is the clutch shaft's single year only diameter only gets me a 73mm clutch arm. I hope things will improve after I mod it to 100mm welded frankenstein arm.
Reply to
David Gravereaux

I'm going for the hidden look. Everyone else seems be going for those honky huge mufflers hanging out in the breeze. I mean everyone here in California, but your's is honky too. And very pretty. I like the symmetrical look it has.. and very shiny.

I used to have the bugpac dual quiet pacs on the last engine. They scraped quite a bit. I don't want to wreck my ground clearance again.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I looked for the details on the clutch, but I'd have to ask Jake. It isn't in the specs. If my 73mm->100mm frankenstein does help enough, I'll have to go hydraulic with a possible pressure assist if I'm still not happy:

David Gravereaux

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Is the tranny adequate?

Reply to
KWW

It should be. The ratios are set for the engine output. I'll know in a week or so. It has a welded third and fourth and a quaife ATB diff. Also, I'm using a Gene Berg intermediary tranny mount to keep things stiff. I'm still waiting on receiving a "Käfer Cup brace". Though I'll probably have to install it much later. It's job is to triangulate the framehorns. It's also called a pre-stress brace.

The theory goes something like this.. Under a hard start, the engine will want to twist the framehorns (left down, right up). The brace strengthens them.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Joe,

I just heard that on some 74+ Supers, there was a larger rear apron (valance) with a bulge in it used if the car had a catalytic converter. Do you know if this is true? My BAS headers barely fit and had to do some cutting. Just wondering if I could just cut and weld in a whole new apron instead to gain some space.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Yes it's true and in fact a friend just bought one for his project street bug. I should be installing it in the near future for him, replacing the stock apron. Along with some other welding that is required.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The bulged rear apron was standard even on non-cat Bugs from sometime in the mid-70s on, at least in German models (which never got a cat anyway).

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Yes and I wish I had one. I saw your photos and I remember something bad that happened to me. I put a muffler on a bug and being an aftermarket system it hit the apron. I cut and grind and I got it to fit. After the paint job I found it was not good enough. It was too close and the paint on my new paint job bubbled. Be careful and fell the apron after a long run. If it is too hot don't think about painting the car till you fix the problem Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Looks like I'll be wrapping the header in heat tape all the way to the first silencer. That'll solve the immediate need..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Make sure you have enough support for the exhaust system. The tape causes the heat to be contained, and the metal pipes will get VERY hot inside. Enough so that they will bend as they heat up, under the weight of the exhaust pipe itself.

Also in some cases the metal used in the pipes gets brittle and cracks at stress points, due to numerous heat-cool down cycles.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

In my manual I point out to run some supports from the muffler and or exhaust system to the engine case. DO NOT use only the the header attachment bolts. The system puts too much leverage on the header bolts and with the bouncing the car is going to do you have a good chance of the bolts getting loose or worse, pull out. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

getting closer:

David Gravereaux

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:29:23 -0700, David Gravereaux ran around screaming and yelling:

David, David, David...that thing will never work...send it to me and i'll dispose of it for you... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

As long as you pay the freight... Ever sent an engine cross-country by FedEx shipping? You seriously don't want to know the cost!

I hope to finish the exhaust and oil filter/cooler stuff tomorrow and start her up.. well, let's say thursday.. late thursday..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

2270cc's of love.. 159 ft/lbs of love ;)

I bought a spare pair of rims today. I'll drop them off at the tire store tomorrow and have a spare set for when I annihilate the rears... for testing purposes of course..

Reply to
David Gravereaux