Now I understand

It took me a bit,.. but now I understand why you all do your own work. The answer is simple. IT's called,..

"Since the Bug ain't original getting the right part is a Bitch so why pay someone to try to put on the wrong part"!!!!!!

Allow me to tell my tale,...

Back on May 20th I bought a 1970 VW Beetle,... some of you might even remember giveing me advice on what book to buy so that I could understand it better . But I'm a computer nerd, not a mechanic. But many of you noticed a few things about the car from the photos and you all told me that the body type was from a 73 not a 70. After further examination I discovered that the engine was built in 71. To date I have yet to find anything On this Bug that says it was built in 70 except the title/registration.

SO when I realised that the brakes were bad (wheel cylindersI I ordered them from JC Whitney,... Guess what? They didn't fit! As a mater of fact none of the 4 I bought at $10 a pop fit. My mechanic had to get them through NAPPA and it took a few days each time for shipping. He has now had the bug in his shop for 2 weeks (sigh) and we still haven't really driven it in all this time .

But the end is near,.. the right parts are on the way. I'm probably going to have to seel the car just to pay my mechanic for the work though . I'm gratefull I can trust him so I don't think he will "Wack" me all that hard. But it really has been a learning curve for us,... and we are still looking for something on the car from 1970,... perhaps a knob maybe .

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Maintaining a car isn't rocketscience so you can do it as well. Don't sell the bug but give it a chance. You just have to teach yourself how. I take it you're doing programming sort of stuff, so you know how to read a tech manual, right? Now you will get your hands (and manual) dirty as your read.

I'd order tape 1 from bugmevideo.com. It shows you how to do the basics and work yourself up from there (or not, if you choose - nothing wrong with that). Order a good manual like Bentleys with lots of pictures and solid instructions. Lurk this group and see if you can follow along when people talk about stuff. On your bug, start with oil changes.

As far as parts go, use aircooled.net if you can. They are honest and know what they are doing. JCWhitney is ok, but there's no comparison to talking to a a person that knows and owns bugs (like aircooled). Don't compare JCW's price to AC, because AC's quality is usually higher and you also get much better service (AC would have made sure you received the right ones, for instance).

Remco

Reply to
remco

Hang in there! Many of the parts for the 70 Bug will interchange with other years. It would not bother me that the years didn't all match up. It might matter more if it was a show car. When I started out driving VWs in 1979, I kept a copy of "The Idiot Book" in my car at all times and it came in handy. It's easy toi understand and actually humorous to read. You can find it at:

or many bookstores. The old ones are still good too. If you can do the work yourself, not only will you know your car better, you'll save a bunch of cash. Andy

63 Camper
Reply to
<texaseitz

I'm not giving up just yet,... As a mater of fact I've become even more rabid on getting this Bug going then I was before. I bought this thing for my wife who has wanted one for years. And once all this initial work is done the Bug will be ready for her to drive,... which makes her happy. ANd it will be safe for her to drive,.. which makes me happy .

Ken

Reply to
Ken

In the Computer workd we have a saying,.... RTFM It stands for "Read the F-ing Manual" The problem is that most of us don't like to read the manual. Bu tin this case I think I'm going to have to. I'm also going to have to clean out the garage of all the computer parts to make room in there for the Bug and a set of tools . I've ordered the Bently's Book,.. 2 copies,... one for the house and then one for the garage that I'm sure will be covered in grease and oll by the end of this summer .

I've been following the group and reading most of the posts. Haven't learned all that much yet but I do enjoy the posts. You people are a neat group and in many ways are like the Computer Geeks I hang with,... You love to argue and have fun at the same time .

My Mechanic also suggested Aircooled.net. I think that is where he got the Master Cylindar. I'm lucky in the fact that My Mechanic is into these kind of cars. He is the son of Lester Smalley who was one of the organizers back in 1948 that started Road racing in America after WW2. His garage is a Mueseum of Road racing in Watkins Glen, NY. I've been working on a web page for him in the hopes that maybe he will cut some of the $ off the Bug Bill . Smalley's Garage was the place they did the tech inspections for races at the Glen till 1961. So I'm lucky to have him here helping me with this project.

The end is in sight though,... He called me to tell me that the parts will be in on Monday to finish the job and I should have it back sometime midweek. We ended up replacing the entire brake system from the master cylindar all the way to the pads,.. at least that is one area I won't have to deal with again for a number of years . I may have to up what I charge my own customers to pay him though,... but I don't think I will tell them the reason for the increase. They just wouldn't understand .

On the Funny side,....

I saw a 1971 Westfalla bus for sale,... the guy only wants $3500 for it. It's had one owner and has sat in a garage since 1977. The only problem is that it needs new brakes . I didn't buy it,... though I seriously thought about it. I think if I'm going to "Take the Plunge" I really need to learn how to turn a wrench first. Besides,.. I'd rather get a Bus from the early 60's .

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I was into computers just before I got my 1st VW.

I dont bother with computers any more.

This is how I am learning about VW's ;-)

Trying hard not to buy any more before I finish some of these !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Love the 64!!!!!! I remember driveing around the west coast in a 64 many years ago,... ahh,.. the good Old Days .

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Yeah - I love that one too !! not used much at the moment, I move it when I cut the grass but thats about it :-( It still has that 'antique' smell to it - lurvley !!! Be a shame to restore it and have it smell 'new'.

I plan to make it my daily driver again by september time.

Rich

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Reply to
tricky

But it really has been a learning curve for

You might not be looking in the obvious places? It's entirely possible that the chassis is a 1970, with a 73 or whatever body on it. If that's the case (and it sounds like it most likely is or somebody switched VIN plates somewhere along the line), the title will still say 1970. Not really the mystery it seems to be. :)

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

You got the idea. Most of us here do not work on cars for a living and many (including myself) are actually computer/engineering geeks during the day time, just like you :)

At the end of the day it is great to do something totally different. If you like solving problems and tinkering with stuff, you'll like working on bugs.

With the 4th of July coming up, Sears usually has decent tools on sale. You'll need a decent set of metric wrenches, a good socket set, some good hand tools. Also a solid jack and stands are a must. Oh, and some good pumice based hand cleaner and some liquid band-aid

Remco

Reply to
Remco