OT Another good day to live

Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike in to work again today and it was almost my last trip. I stopped on Six Forks Road heading north to wait for oncoming southbound traffic to clear so I could make a left turn. That portion of Six Forks road has one lane heading north, one heading south. No traffic light at that intersection. So when someone stops at the intersection where I stopped, traffic behind them has to wait for them or drive around them on the right by driving off of the side of the road. It's pretty rough there so it's only safe to drive around at probably 10 mph or so. So I'm sitting there in the leftmost portion of my lane in case someone wants to drive around when I heard it. That sound. The sound nobody wants to hear. The sound of tires on pavement starting to squeal as if though they are on the verge of locking up. I look up in my side mirror and sure enough... a white pickup truck is coming up on my ass FAST. I could tell he was having trouble controlling his truck. I didn't have time to think or do ANYTHING. Apparently he figured out that there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time so he let off of his brakes and at the last second he ran off the road on the right and passed me at about 50 mph. Came within about a foot of me, but it felt like a couple of inches. I could feel the blast of air from his truck as he passed me. Hair stood up on the back of my neck. Man, that will make you aware of your mortality in a hurry. Another car stopped behind me a few seconds later, southbound traffic cleared, and I was on my way. There was a woman sitting at the intersection in her van who had been waiting to turn southbound onto Six Forks who saw the whole thing. As I rode past her, she had a look on her face that said "Dude, you *almost* just got killed." Yeah, no kiddin'. Maybe I should get one of those strobing brake light thingies too. Me - 1. Death - 0. Y'all almost lost me today. :-)

Reply to
Shag

You lucky SOB!!!! Thank god the person seen you at the last second! Glad you didn't get creamed.

Mac

Reply to
Mac

"Mac .net>"

Don't mind my grammar....... too early in the A.M.

Reply to
Mac

..................All joking and lecturing aside, you now know why I'm scared to death of riding on a two-wheeler on the same roads with four -wheeled vehicles driven by dangerous idiots. Life is short enough as it is. Offroading on a dirt bike? Yeah, I could get interested. At least then, I'd know that I was in control of my own fate.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

As I rode past her, she had a look on her face that

Hmmm, am I in your will to get the rail? Just kidding!!!

Glad you are OK and still here to keep us pumped up with your adventures!!

Reply to
TerryB

Cuz you're a wuss? ;-)

Reply to
Shag

I have been hit from behind on a motorcycle twice. Both times by airhead, single, thirty-something women.

Reply to
johnboy

glad you came out okay....never forget you have a pretty powerful machine that can accellerate quickly.....good chance he never would have gotten past me on the right before i was out of the way....have had to miss a turn before due to similar situations....repeat after me "twist and dump"

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah, but in this particular case I really didn't have the time. From the time I saw the truck to the time he passed me, I'd bet that less than 2 seconds passed. He must not have seen me until he was about

6-7 car-lengths away from me. He was ON MY ASS when I first spotted him and moving FAST. I just got lucky, plain and simple.
Reply to
Shag

yes, i see....you were lucky....I to at times find myself moving to the far extreme of the lane just for this type of thing, but i sometimes think it makes you less likely to be seen....so i tend to do the "angle" so they can see more of the bike...i also like to flash my brake light....seems to help, but how much i'm unsure...have also had close calls such as these.....once was at a busy intersection...i was first in line, no one behind me.....i had to dart out into cross traffic and hang a hard right as the car that should have been stopping *behind* me slid nearly throught the intersection(four lanes)....scary indeed...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I already have a headlight modulator on my bike that I installed, and today I ordered a tail-light modulator from the same company. :-)

Reply to
Shag

excellent....let me know what you think of it...i am considering both of those...(already read your "praise" for the headlight modulator)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

This is what happens. You escape RAMVA, only to travel over to reeky, and you are followed back to RAMVA.

Always, leave your bike in gear and have an escape plan. Shag, you did take the MSF course, right?

Bryan

I will not cross post to rec.motorycyles.

Reply to
Bryan

As I once before said, consider move to Europe!!

:o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

i don't go to reeky much....do make a showing some at AMS....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

No. I've been riding for about 17 years now off-and-on. I've considered taking it several times but haven't gotten around to it yet. From what I've been told by a lot of people, it's well-worth taking.

Reply to
Shag

..................But it's full of those Euro-style weirdo foreigners who look and talk funny!

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Shag, I have one of "those strobing thingies" on my 92 HD Heritage. Normal operation is the lights/LED's will strobe clockwise and then counter-clockwise. Hit the brakes and all the LED's light up and strobe. A lot of people say that this is very noticible. Try it, you'll like it!

El Paso Bob

71 1776 Std Baja 92 1340 HD Heritage
Reply to
The Joneses

The Yamaha dealer about 2 miles from my house is running a credit check on me right now... If things go the way I think they will then in a few hours I'll have a motorcycle that's so damn fast I'll be able to outrun any accident. ;-) WOOT!!!

Reply to
Shag