OT Made my contribution to education this morning...

...by taking one of these TO SCHOOL. OWWWWW!!!!

It all started out by me pulling up BEHIND a 350Z at a light. We were both in a right hand lane that we knew was going to end just up the road. People pull over in that lane all the time to get the jump on the rest of traffic. I saw him eyeballin' my bike in his mirrors during the red light wait. Just before it turned green he started revving his motor. Sounded pretty good, actually. Very mean growling sound. Light turned green and he got on it pretty hard but I don't think he nailed it. I didn't either for the first 7-8 bike lengths, then I hit it and switched to the left lane and slammed it in second. He also hit second and his rear tires spun from the shift and he was obviously giving it all it had at that point. But... physics was on my side from the start. I wish I could have seen the expression on his face as I passed him on the left. The road had a nice long sweeping right turn to it that we came up on fast. He was still in the right lane that was about to end, maybe thinking I'd let off for the right sweeping turn. He was wrong. I went through the turn at somewhere just north of 105 mph in 4th gear and he had to fall in behind me as his lane ended. I hit 5th gear as the turn unwinded and settled back down to a comfortable speed after peaking around 115 or so. Whoo hoo! What a rush, and what a way to start a Friday!!! Obligatory air-cooled reference: Air-cooled wins again!!! (my bike is air-cooled)

Reply to
Shag

.......That's a car that I'd like to have. The magazine reviews say that the skid pad tests aren't that great because it's at least 300# overweight but I'm getting old and can't afford an Elise anyway. The Stillen supercharger would help at the stoplight grand prix events against you redneck bikers. Your adversary should have turned off the traction control and stayed off the gas pedal until it was time to go. A C5 Vette would have made him a little less nervous while he looking at you in his mirror as well. I just can't stand the looks of the Vette.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Could you take one of these to school????

(maybe off the line, but this one'll lurn ya in the turns.) Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

Give me a souped up old skool Z-car any day over that piece of... plastic. New cars leave me cold.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That link didn't quite work for me. Gave me about a 2 second clip, but I can tell by the text in the link what it is. That must be one of those clips that is "going around." AWESOME um... "car?" The clip of it I saw, he was driving it around and his face was distorting from the high speeds and he was amazed how he could see the suspension working and stuff. Reminded me of driving the rail. Only different. Seems like I heard someone say they were going to try to make something like that available in the states and that they were only gonna run around $17K. I'd love to have one, but I think that would be a little too expensive for something that would be considered a toy.

Reply to
Shag

......I understand how you feel but the 350Z is a front engine, rear wheel drive car with a 6-speed manual gearbox and 287 HP with only 3.5 liters and no turbo. What's not to like? It's more affordable than most of the cars in its class and if you turn off the traction control & directional stabilty system, it really is a driver friendly performance car from what I've read in the magazines. Look at it this way: It's better looking and faster and costs less than the Miata and the S2000 and unlike its European and American competitors, it'll probably run for at least 10 years plus without any major problems. I wonder if I can get a dealer discount for saying this stuff....lol

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Awesome... even if it was a 45 second download. Thx!

Reply to
KWW

Well, if you could drive a motorcycle to work, then why not spend $40k+/- (about 29k pounds) on this?

Reply to
KWW

Awww........Slow connection huh?...........LOL

There probably isn't a large number of us in this newsgroup who wouldn't give our shriveled up left nut for one. ( and I don't know what the ladies would give up , but one of our left nuts would probably suffice if they could get one of us to give one up for them.) Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

Timmy, I think it's a nice car too. However, I think the Infinity G35 is far more beautiful, and can be had at a decent price. (provided you can buy one used a little.) They're the classiest looking sports car on the road in my opinion. The loaded out with GPS and Brimbo(or whatever the big brakes are) brake package and all the extras comes to about 50k. that means with 2 years on it you can buy one for around

26-30k according to options and mileage. (around Dallas area , anyway.) worth every penny in performance and luxury,, and just plain awesome looking.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 04:12:19 GMT, "Tim Rogers" scribbled this interesting note:

They ruined the lines of the Z-Car back when they went to the Z-X. The look of the "Z" car hasn't improved since.

I had a '76 Z. Nice little car. It drove like a bat out of hell. The only real modification I would have done to the car would have been to put some real brakes on the front. There is a handy little conversion kit supplied by Toyota, which consists of the front brakes off a Toyota truck. The front calipers are a bolt on conversion and afterwards you won't have any more problems getting the car to stop.

In fact, if the right 240 or 280Z came along, I'd buy another one. They are simply that much fun.

Until someone putting on her make-up decides to rear-end it. Ask Scott about that. He was the one driving it to work that day...

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

.........I understand that the older Z cars have a lot of appeal but I've got a bug to keep me busy when I want to get dirty and frustrated out in my garage on a beautiful sunny day in June......haha. I just replaced the entire brake system except for the master cylinder and some of the steel lines on my '77 about 4 or 5 months ago along with installing a new rebuilt-adjustable/front beam assembly & steering box and I converted the rear drums to type 3's while I was at it. It would take an old has been like me a long time to get up to speed with that kind of work on something new and unfamiliar to me like a 70's era Z car.

....I agree with Scott about the G35 but if I wanted a great small performance sedan, I think that I'd go with a Lexus IS 350 instead. Not so much because it's a better car but because I'm just partial to that line of cars anyway from my own experience owning a LS400.

.......The 350Z is a very good looking 2 seater to me that also performs quite well. A brand new one can go for about $25-$27K and that's a good buy for a car that matches up very well against similar models from other companies that cost from $10K-$30K more than that.

.....I've countered your volley off of my serve and now the ball's back at ya........lol

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:25:17 GMT, "Tim Rogers" scribbled this interesting note:

The original Z cars are easy to work on. There is a ton of room in the engine bay, and remember, the Japanese "borrowed" the engine from Mercedes! That engine began as a four cylinder Mercedes that "grew" a couple more cylinders!

Newer cars are fine for having all the modern accessories and comfort. I just prefer older cars. Currently our fleet that is actually driven includes the '59 Beetle, a 1985 Celica GT-S Convertible, and the '93 Accord wagon my wife drives. New sports cars just don't hold much appeal for me, especially when things like the original Z cars are easy to find and buy at good prices, and while you can improve upon them, they really are quite good for that sports car feel. I remember the fellow we bought the '76Z from said he was a salesman back when he bought the car. He said he used to drive out in west Texas. Long, straight highways. He said he got that car up to 140mph before he backed off. That's plenty fast for me!

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

Man you have an 85 Celica GT?!! I've always loved the body style on those cars! I would have bought one in 1991 but my Dad talked me into buying a Chevy S-10 brand new instead of buying a fullly loaded 85' Celica GT Hardtop (didn't even know they had convert's) with a brand new clutch, brand new paintjob, sunroof, leather etc...... I still wish I had gotten that car VS. that POS Chevy truck!! Man that was a pristine looking car!

Reply to
Mac

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:00:13 -0600, "Mac" scribbled this interesting note:

They only made 2500 of the '85 Celica Convertibles. They are a fairly rare car. I need an '85 Celica parts car for a few items that need attention on this one!:~)

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

"John Willis" They only made 2500 of the '85 Celica Convertibles. They are a fairly

Didja know that all ya need to steal that model is a screwdiver crammed into the key-slot? So, what's keepin ya from gettin one, 'cept morals? :)

Reply to
2

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:24:37 -0600, "2" scribbled this interesting note:

Driveway space!:~)

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

John you need to visit me some time I could show you lots of old Z cars here setting in back yards and I know I have seen a few 85 celica and even a setting convertable. I think its another rust experiment.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

On 15 Mar 2006 05:41:44 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" scribbled this interesting note:

I've seen private residences that make some junkyards look small by comparison. I trying to keep ours from getting to that point, and there'll be another post here very soon for a couple more cars fro sale...

These days, when I buy a car, it will have to be in great condition to begin with. I think I'm done with buying "projects". I've got too many projects, both automotive and otherwise, and they all deserve attention, right after the attention I gladly give to my family.