Education

I need recommendations for a good book/manual to teach me basic VW mechanics. Now, not so much how to fix things (which that too would be nice) but I want to learn all the parts and what exactly they are responsible for. Then I would feel more confident in determining problems and solutions for my bug.

I mean really, what the hell is a "Quaife differential " anyhow ?? LOL LOL (David Gravereaux, that one is from your post)

Susan

74 Std "Betty"
Reply to
Susan S.

Shaggie

The John Muir Mechanical Idiots Guide to repairing and maintaining your VW is a great place to start.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

...well the Haynes manual, and the Muir manual are two good ones for a beginner to have onm hand. If you have a little more money to spend consider the bug-me videos.

...you can read it 20 times and still never get as much understanding as watching the work being performed....as for a quaife differential....well its kinda similar to "posi " reareend in american metal. Basically what it does is make it so both rear wheels drive instead of one. This leads to superior traction....it is a very expensive...yet virtually indestructible item usually used only in severe duty high performance transaxles. Here is a video of a gentleman by the name of Mark Herbert trying his best to destroy one in a far from stock VW. (its kinda large so it *will* take a while to load..

....HTH,\

,,,Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Gareth is right, those things are bulletproof. Dodge has added them to the SRT-4, too. If they can contain that little rocket's power, they certainly should be able to handle a dub. ;)

Reply to
psy

On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:12:46 -0600, psy ran around screaming and yelling:

230 hp in a 3000 pound car isn't really that much...new to automobiles? JT
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks for all the info. Shaggie, went straight to your Amazon link and ordered the book. At 17.00 it's a great deal since every place around here wants 25 and up. Will also check into the other books mentioned.

Thanks again, Susan

74 Std "Betty" (hope to have my web page up soon ! )

Susan S.

Very cool, but now I wanna watch "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly." :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Sorry, I was excited when I got the call that it arrived.

The damn thing weighs like 40 pounds! If you're interested in finding-out more, deep detail is @

David Gravereaux

Susan, Guess what? The" Club" has the entire Bug Me Video series and you can check them out for your viewing pleasure. Email me .

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Oh Yeah !!! I had forgotten about those videos !!! I will get in touch with you soon about snapping some up !!!

Susan

74 Std "Betty"
Reply to
Susan S.

Reply to
ilambert

They certainly could be. I believe the 230 rating was for the HP of the '03 model. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but the power (particularly the torque) has been increased since then for the '04 and the upcoming '05. My point wasn't really that it *has* a high HP to weight ratio, but rather that the Quaife can handle at least that car, which is consistently given high ratings for it's bang to buck ratio, and often given "props" due to it's high torque output for a 4-banger. There are many other cars that have a higher power to weight ratio, indeed.

Reply to
psy

Reply to
ilambert

Motorcycles have been doing that since the eighties. About time cars have caught up.

My old `85 Honda is a hundred HP per liter bike:

Current sport bikes are about 130hp/liter, I think.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:29:12 -0700, David Gravereaux ran around screaming and yelling:

yep...my GSX-750 is a 1993 model and it was rated at 100 HP....not bad out of 749cc's JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I've always fancied putting two of those Goldwing 6-cylinders in my kit car. Oops. Watercooled. Never mind.

Reply to
jjs

So when is someone going to make some real 4-valve OHV heads for our famous flat-four? Those trick looking Scat split-port one look nice, but still 2-valve and I heard the cooling on them is lame.

Silly me.. that would be whole new animal in itself..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

.................Porsche tried to figure out how to cool a 4-valve head with air and finally gave up. That's one of the reasons that the current generation 911 is watercooled.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I'm pretty sure it's been done and raced already.

Dunno how they could be any better than the right heads, but what do I know?

Reply to
jjs