what would a dealer clutch adj. cost?

let's say you had an air-cooled bug and wanted to price an adjustment. How much at the dealer vs. an independent garage. I Remember Another Quagmire = IRAQ

Reply to
stay da course?

probably they will charge 0.5 hours although it might be 0.4 hours in the book.

Labor rate here in Chicago is about $120 per hour. And I doubt if the techs here even see air cooled Beetles in the dealership.

8^)
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'd be rich in no time... it only takes a few seconds to do it, no need to jack the car up even :)

Hell I bet I could do it while the car was MOVING, on a dare :D

Jan

dave AKA vwdoc1 kirjoitti:

Reply to
Jan

No fair cutting the luggage tray Jan :o)

It would be crazy to take an aircooled VW to a dealership, not only the shop rate, $80 an hour here but most their mechanics wouldn't think about the pedal hook being worn. It has to be much easier working on a car that you plug a computer in and told whats wrong not worring how many other problems are there.

Mario Vintage werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

That sort of stuff pretty much anyone can do. Mechanics may not have a clue how to do that and will rob you blind.

Get the BugmeVideo.com tape on general maintenance to show you how it is done. It is literally a one minute job once you know how.

The following are stills from one of their video and describes how to replace a clutch cable. The last slide shows how easy the adjustment is:

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I seriously doubt a VW dealership in the states would even touch one these days. They'd probably point you to the independent german guy down the road. Down in Mexico it might a different story....

Chris

Reply to
halatos