1996 Jetta GLS - Replacing factory antenna

I have a 1996 Jetta GLS, I have had very few problems with this car. My only complaint would be it does not have alot of "off-the start" torque or power; but once you get going, it seems to be fine.

My factory installed antenna (on the left fender panel) has broken off and I need to replace it. Has any one done this before? Is it difficult, is this something I can do my self or should I be taking into a dealership to have done?

Advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
woodhobby

Should be very easy if it is like the one that I did last year. The antenna lead on the one I worked on did not go completely to the radio, so it was simple. Remove necessary bolts/screws of the LF fender inner panel to allow access to the antenna. Remove nut securing antenna to the fender along with any hardware to the lower part of the antenna. Follow antenna cable to the inside of the vehicle. I think it unplugs near the hood release lever so I might have taken off the lever and part of the carpeting/upholstery there. Not sure of this though.

Make sure you replace any grommets back in their proper positions.

OH and make sure that your antenna does not have the replaceable mast before you replace the entire antenna!!!

Let us know what happens! Good luck too! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

And if the cable runs to the deck and you *need* to replace the cable, duct tape (or similar) the new cable to the old as you pull the old one out.

Reply to
Darryl

HI, Does the same instuctions apply for a 94 VW Golf 2.0 liter? My antenna is broken off right at the fender. Looked under the fender and only saw what looked like a drain plug? Help please? Thanks

Moira

Reply to
moirajk