New Jetta Wagon owner - a few questions

Hi all;

Just got my first VW 2 days ago - a blue 2004 Jetta Wagon (gas - couldn't afford the diesel :-<

A few observations I'd like your feedback on:

The engine revs over 3000 RPM when I'm doing 120 km/h. My Acura 4 speed automatic rev'd 2200 at the same speed. Is 5th gear that short on the Jetta?

The engine is louder than I'm accustomed to when it's under load. Still, it doesn't feel like it's complaining - on the contrary, it seems to love to rev, easily all the way to redline. Typical for the 4 cyl., normally aspirated VW gas engine?

I love the sunroof - no more holding a button to get it open/closed. However, it squeaks a bit when I drive over bumps and squeaks a LOT when I have it open and drive over bumps. Should I mention this to the dealer?

Instrument cluster - fantastic at night.

Heated seats: warm up soooo much faster than my Acura, and adjustable too.

Cruise control: much more accurate than any Honda/Acura I've owned.

5 speed shifter: great feel, nice throw. I LIKE how reverse is to the left of 1st gear.

Stereo (not the Monsoon unit): nice, but the Acura Bose system was nicer. This sounds a bit "thinner" until you crank it.

Cheers.....

Reply to
Wendy A

I have a 99 Beetle, and it too is geared short. Too short if you ask me. But the engine does love to rev, and, if they're giving a 100K mi engine warranty, they obviously think the engine will last that many revs.

By all means, report everything and anything to the dealer while the car is still covered under the new car warranty! That way if repairs are needed past the warranty period, you have established that the problem was an ongoing one, and it should still be covered.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence Radcliffe

They've been gearing their gasoline engines too short for a long time now. My old 1.8L Golf spins faster then the engine in your car at 120kph. The

1.8L's don't have a problem with revving over 5000 rpm tho. They are actually smooth, even at 6000+ rpm (redline is 6500) they are smooth, they just get incredibly loud (not much soundproofing in the old models either). I've never seen a 2.0L in action for more then a few minutes in a New Beetle, but the engine sounded and behaved similar to the old 1.8L's. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but now you probably know why VW's seem to have lower fuel economy then some other small cars.

Mention the squeaking, my 1999.5 Golf TDI doesn't squeak at ALL over anything. Sunroof open/closed, windows open/closed... nothing squeaks or rattles, unless its my stuff in the glove compartment, or side pockets (sources of a lot of rattles in cars are actually your own stuff moving around, and not the car... I remember my dad had tools in our Volvo, and he could never figure out why it was rattling so badly.... everything is now wrapped in vinyl paper, and the car is quiet). My Golf is a German built TDI tho, I have been in a Brazilian built TDI and there was an annoying squeak from the rear bench seatback.

I agree with the instrument cluster, its nice (and guests to the car seem to fall in love instantly, especially women I find)... Heated seats, yah they are awesome, I love the 5 settings. My parents' Volvo 960 has heated seats that can beat mine in a race to heat up, but they have only one position - grittle marks on the ass (you are suppose to switch them off when you are comfortable explains the owners manual)

Cruise control - It's more accurate then my old ride - the 91 1.8L Golf.... which was actually pretty good, again not as good as parents 10 year old Volvo (that car keeps it dead on... strong engine compression braking, and strong acceleration capability help greatly)

5 speed VWs - I find the new ones vague and generally not very good, the old ones are better IMO. I think there idea of where Reverse should be is the best idea since sliced bread. Down, left, forward, up.... so ingenious.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have to say that my Jetta (1990 Canadian Spec GLI (1.8L w/3-Speed Auto) revs lower at 140 km/h than my parent's new Beetle.

At 140, the Jetta revs about 3500 RPM...The Beetle is at 4000....

Not a big differance, but one nontheless...

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Perhaps....That is something that keeps me driving the '90...It runs better at high speeds than the Beetle, or any 2.0L

Reply to
Peter Cressman

open/closed.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I drove a new TDI Jetta today, and was actually quite dissappointed in terms of the performance...I mean, it's slightly better than the old TDI, but I can't justify the extra cost...I'll take the 90 hp version, which has proven to be really reliable over the new 100 hp Pump Duse, which I think will have it's share of problems...The most noticeable differance between the 90 and

100 horsepower TDIs is that the 100 hp seems to move off with a little more gusto, but overall, the 90 horsepower version still gets top marks in my books!

- Pete

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I wouldn't worry about the reliability of the Pumpe Düse engine. How long has it been around now? 5-6 years or so? (Albeit not in the US). Since it can deliver >150hp, it is very much tuned down for the US market, to boot.

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

Are you on crack? I could tell a big differance in power compaired to the older TDIs. All of my co-workers that I've taken for a spin in the car have been impressed with how much more power the new PD has over the non PD engine.

But the PD engine is not the best thing about my new car, the nut cracker for the rear passengers is great, I just leave a bag of mixed nuts and they can use the "cup holder" to crack open the shells. :)

Reply to
Pencilneck

It pulls harder, yes...but when I can buy a 2003 Golf TDI with 1.9% financing over a 2004 with 8.9% financing, and 10 extra horsepower as well as being forced to use a certain oil, I'd go with the 90 hp.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The PD engine is a great choice for the heavier Jetta Wagon... or if you have to carry people around. With 4 people in it my Golf doesn't move nearly as well as a PD does, I would love to test drive a PD solo. Also remember that the PD you tested had not been broken in yet either.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

But really, I mean the extra, what...2 seconds of cranking time for the 90 hp....is it really worth it? I used a Golf TDI 5-speed to tow my '68 Beetle from Haliburton, Ontario and with 2 people, luggage and the Beetle, the TDI had no trouble doing 130 km/h....

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

A friend of mine has a '91 Golf GL that has the same RPMs that my '91 GTI does...I wonder if both GTIs and Golfs in the late A2 era were fitted with the same transmissions? Odd...

Reply to
Matt B.

If your GTI is a 1.8L, then they are basically the same car. The GTI 1.8's were basically a very decked out Golf, with minor suspension changes and different trim

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

It's not the extra cranking time even, its the glow plug time. The PD seemed slightly faster, it was a cold day outside.

Ohh yah, the TDI's in 90hp state are damn good, they will pull a lot of load around without trouble, but I am just saying that with a few hundred extra pounds they (the PDs) aren't as affected. With 4 people in my car, and loaded to the gills with luggage on a road trip to Ottawa I had to flog my car pretty good to keep up with the Chrysler T&C and Dodge Stratus I was following... Once I had my speed built up, I could easily manage, and going up hills my torque was helping nicely... that and I could use the engine compression to slow me down, whereas they had to use their brakes :-) (this made for some yelling over the walkie talkies we brought along)

compression

Reply to
Rob Guenther

And a whole 5 extra horsepower.... So theoretically if a GTI had its A/C running a bone stock GL could outrun it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

but in Canada, our GTI was the RV code engine or the 9A 2.0l, so 100 hp and

134 hp respectively.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

In my 1991 Golf manual there are mentions of 3 engines. a 100hp base engine, a 105 hp GTI engine, and a 134hp 16 valve engine. All 1.8l if I am not mistaken.

Reply to
Rob Guenther