Passat

I've got a 1999 Passat 1.8t, I was driving down the highway this afternoon in the rain (going about 70-75) when the car lost all power to the wheels. I'm assuming the most likely problem is a CV joint failure, but I'm not sure - any advice on whether these symptoms indicate a CV joint problem would be appreciated.

When I put the car in gear and rev it up, there's somewhat of a grinding noise but the speedometer moves - I would assume that means the transmission is probably still intact? Is that what would happen if the joint were roached?

Last year I replaced the right side CV joint (with a used one - I couldn't get a new one anywhere. For some reason the right side of the 1999 is different from every other year.) In that case, the joint was functional but made a lot of noise. Last week my wife noticed a clicking in the left side (only when she turned right), and I've been assuming that would need to be replaced as well.

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
mikep7777