replacing engine mounts in 84 diesel rabbit ?

Has anybody any tips for replacing the engine mounts on a

1984 VW diesel rabbit? I've looked through all the manuals I've got, and they all seem to just gloss over it.

Thanks, Reid

Reply to
Reid Fleming

Support engine and transmission, remove and replace 1 mount at a time for safety sake. The ones that press into their brackets are usually carefully cut with a hacksaw so that they collaspe inside of the bracket. (Right Side and Left Side mounts) Then you align the new mount properly and press it into the bracket. I have seen some installed upside down. 8^o

The front & rear mounts should just bolt off and on.

Alignment of the engine and transmission before tightening down the mounts should be done!

I would probably do the hardest first which is the Right Side. I don't think that you have to remove the timing belt but I could be wrong on the Diesel engines. Oh and make sure that you purchase the Diesel style mount and not the Gas style for the Right Side too! I think that they make the rubber slightly beefier for the Diesel engine application.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Buy the Diesel one for *any* A1. they last longer, and the increase in NVH is not really significant.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Good tip! ;-) Also be aware that there are two sizes/diameters for the Right Engine Mount, but your 1984 should have the big one!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1