WHAT IS WITH JETTAS?

After being a Honda and Toyota owner for going on two decades, I finally decided I wanted a car with a more fun drive so I splurged on a 98 Jetta GLX.

I've had the car for three months and I am beginning to wonder what I am getting myself into.

Though the car had only 65,000 miles on it when I bought it, already I have had to replace the spark plug wires due to a frayed line and just three weeks ago my dashboard just went DEAD!! Now I can't tell how fast I am going, how many miles on the car or what. And to top it off, the check light seems to go on for no reason and any reason.

I had the car hooked up to a diagnostic computer this past week (for the second time since I bought this car three months ago) and there was over $1500 of new work that they told me needed to be done including a loose transmission mount.

I realize I had become spoiled by Japanese cars (I drove my last car, a 96 Civic EX, to 175,000 miles before some jacka$$ totalled it for me by rear ending me- In all those miles, I only had to replace an air conditioning fan and some other very minor parts. AND I RIDE MY VEHICLES HARD!)

What is the story with these Jettas?!? Am I in for a world of hurt? I am beginning to think I should unload it and get me a 170hp Honda.

Is this typical of Jettas? Do I have a dud? If this car was built by Mexicans in the same shoddy careless manner my house was recently built with the use of Mexican laborers, I am really not surprised. What is the dirt on this car?

Reply to
BrightStar

Karma.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Did you buy the car from a private owner or a dealer? Did you buy it from a VW dealer, or a used car lot? If you bought the car from anything other than a VW dealer than it isn't a certified used car and you've got no place to complain. If you bought it from a VW dealer, you should march back to the salesperson, the manager, and the head of service, and notify them that you'll be suing the dealership for the $1500 in service charges unless they either buy the car back or fix it for free. Problems like that don't come out of nowhere after only 3 months, and pre-existing problems must either be fixed. Used VWs when traded into a VW dealer by their 1st owner, are soupposed to undego a 100 + point inspection.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

There probably is a reason, even if the car isn't running noticeable different.

So what does the diagnostics say? They should tell you what the check engine light is coming on for.

Whoa whoa...don't even go there. It has nothing to do with Mexico. Even German-made VWs today are having such issues. Germans do many things well but one area they seem to fall short in recently is electric and electronic components and it's not limited to VW...BMW and Mercedes are having a go of it these days too with electronic issues.

Back in the early to mid 1990s, the Puebla plant actually was scoring higher on VW's internal quality audits than the German plants too. It's not a Mexico thing. And for what it's worth, my Hecho-en-Mexico '91 GTI is running strong and with little problems.

I don't think you're in for a world of hurt with this car, but VWs are higher maintenance and more work than Hondas. However, Hondas rarely give you the same European drivers-car feel that VW, BMW, and Mercedes do. VWs are sort of a labor of love...if you love how the car drives and feels, you labor over them :-)

Anyway, I'd say don't make any conclusions yet, but do get a second opinion on the diagnosis. Did the computer hookup say what needed to be replaced? Post it and maybe some folks will have insight if we have more specific information.

Reply to
Matt B.

That line should read: "...and pre-existing problems must either be fixed or made known to the new potential buyer". Sorry.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

This is called an Integra GS-R, Type or Prelude.

Reply to
Saintor

Probably not. What is the cars history? Where did you buy it?

Reply to
Darryl

Possibly a neglected or abused used car?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Yupp, and with the exception of the Integra Type R's handling, a GTi 1.8T or VR6, or Jetta GLi would lay waste to any of them.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I am just one datapoint, but my 98 Jetta GLX with 62,000 miles hasn't been that bad. Something in the coolant system cracked, that was a couple hundred bucks. The power windows break on almost a regular basis. Otherwise so far so good.

Reply to
timeOday

Reply to
Becker

You're dedicated.

Your rating as a borderline, dedicated troll: 4/10.

Reply to
Darryl

Same here! My 87 Civic had 250,000 miles on it, and was doing great! I had just had the clutch replaced, and was ready for another 250,000... but a huge Death-U-V rear ended me :-(

Reply to
93 Fox

Naaaah. They are way too fat.

Reply to
Saintor

Really? A 2001 Prelude (the last year Honda built them for North America) would

*struggle* to break 7.5 to 60 MPH (that's slower than a 2003 Accord V6, BTW). The GS-R might be able to pull off a 7.3, and the Type R would be right in at 6.9-7.0. The 180Hp GTi 1.8T (such as mine) will pull off 0-60 in 6.5 and the 1/4 in 15.0 per C&D testing. The VR6 is marginally slower to 60 @ 6.8 seconds, thanks to increased curb weight, but it's faster mid-gear and up into 5th and 6th gears than a 1.8T thanks to it's richer torque output at higher RPMs. At 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, the RSX Type S is the only sub $30k Acura capable of beating my GTi to 60 MPH. And similarly equipped, dealers want anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 *more* for them than my GTi. I can chip my car to 210Hp and 249 Ft. Lbs. for $400 and lay waste to all but the NSX.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Well, don't forget the S2000.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

The only good Honduh is a dead Honda.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

"Pete Cressman" mumbled in message news:cmMJb.245913$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...

Spoken like a true troll.

Reply to
93 Fox

Not really......I, nor anyone else in my family has ever had luck with Honda...hence the reason we all drive VWs now. My parents had an '89 Accord that had so many problems...3 years into ownership, the transmission went, as well as alot of subframe rotting.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I guess the years of top notch Consumer Reports reliablity ratings for Honda must be a mistake, as well as the sub-par ratings for VW. Don't try to compare the two... Honda is far superior to VW in reliability... you just sound ignorant.

Reply to
93 Fox