84 gmc starter wiring problems

sup i was wondering if anyone had any ideas why my new starter will not work? took the old one out because the solanoid was shot, now my friend that was helping me took the cables off the starter and now is not sure where they go. I thought it would be pretty simple because they seem to be sized to only fit a certan lead but when i try and start i get nothing. no click ,no hum ,no nothing need to get to work any help would be really awsome thx.

Reply to
dirtdog

I'm not looking at mine, but I do have my 1986 factory wiring manual in front of me...should just be two connections... One with 2 or 3 wires together on the same connector and a larger gauge single wire (purple).

Check to make sure the cables are providing the correct amount of juice when the key is turned to the 'start' position. I'd use alligator clips on the leads of a multitester and then try to crank it and see if the needle jumps up to 12vdc on the meter...

Also, just to be sure, I'd try to pull your ground source off the body of the starter.

If you have long enough leads on the meter, you can set it on the hood while it's open with the leads going under the gap between the hood and body. That way you can see the meter from the driver's seat and DIY without having someone else start the truck while you're up front.

If you're not getting power at the starter wires, you'll need to start tracing the problem down. You may want to check the little junction block on the firewall near the master cylinder. Make sure the nut holding the wires in place is properly tightened and that it's making a good connection.

Let us know how it goes...

~jp

dirtdog wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

hey thx for helping. my truck has 3 leads, 1 from the battery,2 with small o clip so it only fits on 1 post, and 3 that has 1 oclip but with

3 wires go> I'm not looking at mine, but I do have my 1986 factory wiring manual in
Reply to
dirtdog