Heated Mirror Not Working

I recently noticed the right (passenger) outside mirror doesn't defrost anymore. The mirror still moves when I back up. Any ideas on what the problem is? The truck is a 2004 Sierra SLT ext.cab. I love all of the electronic features of the truck but dread having repair bills from the dealer. That's about the only place that can fix some of these problems.

Reply to
Ann Meffert

I've had 3 burned out heated mirrors on my 2000 Z-71 LT 5.3 Silverado...

First two covered by the 3 year GM basic Warranty. Years 2 and 3.

Third one burned out in Year 5 and dealer says is not covered by the $2000 GMPP Warranty in years 4 thru 6..... I'm half happy.... My GMPP warranty ends Easter of 2007.....

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Update: My GMPP Warranty ends Easter of 2006........

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Well, that's not good news. I need to get an extended plan quick. I'm thinking of going with a non-GM plan since they want the most money of any I've reviewed so far. Would you buy the GMPP again?

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Since GM trucks have a 7 or 8 year 'chassis production run',

I'd buy a GMPP extended warranty for a model that is year 1 or year 2

of the 'design cycle'. For a 99 or 00 Silverado yes.....

For a 2007 or 2008 Tahoe yes.... The GMPP Extended Warranty runs

for ownership years 4 thru 6...... I call this long term

insurance against expenses related to possible design or production flaws....

You might win some and lose some, but my repair expenses over 6

years should should never be major... Ya, I did pay $2000 up front.

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Apparently not hard to fix - the part is about $70.00 from the dealer. I have the same problem on my 01' Silverado 2500HD

What the dealer told me (use at your own risk):

  • WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES/GOGGLES - these things tend to shatter when removed
  • Pry off the mirror, just snaps in
  • Disconnect the wire from the old mirror
  • Reconnect to the the new one - use Dielectric Grease
  • Snap back in

Might want to check it with a volt meter before putting it back together to make sure it's not something else.

Reply to
Joseph E. J Duclos Jr.