VW Electric Window Switch Funny Behaviour

Hi Group,

I just bought a Passat, and found the driver's window switch behave strangely, the soft down press is now behaving exactly the same as soft up, i.e.window wind up until switch release.

So, the only way to close the window is to hard pull the switch.

A friend of mine got a MkIV Golf, it's soft down switch feature is working fine but intermittently.

Please let me know if you come across the same problem, or have a fix for it.

Many thanks, ~ Chris

Reply to
Chris

More to that, it was started this morning, last night has a heavy rain fall, but I've checked the foot wells for both sides, can't spot any dampness.

Reply to
Chris

Hold the switch up untill the window is closed - once closed keep on holding the switch up for say a further 10 seconds. This should reset it.

Reply to
DubDriver

I don't know about your Passat (which year?), but in my old Audi (1988), I had a problem with the control unit, which is in charge of these things. It also disables the windows 30s after the key was pulled and the drivers door opened and closed.

I just took the unit out and put a strong wire across one or two cables on the connector. Now the windows work all the time, but without any fancy features. The drivers window just winds up or down as long as I hold the switch, which is fine for me.

One side-effect: Since the system is on all the time now, the little LEDs in the switches started to drain the battery. I opened all switches and cut the LEDs, so that's not a problem any more either.

That was all done before I read about bad solder joints. Resoldering the boards on the control unit might have done the job as well. Maybe I will try one day, more out of couriosity.

Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

Sorry, I've tried a few times, still doing it.

Reply to
Chris