Yaaaayyyyy, I'm $3641 lighter now

Except that, for whatever reason, automatic trans failure is still a fairly rare occurrence on US made cars.

Reply to
Fred W

"Fred W" wrote

IME and IMO, that statement is false. Most automatics have been designed to last only 100K-125K miles before failing. However, I believe that the manufacturers have had to get better lately, and exceptions - Ford C6 truck tranny for instance - have always existed.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I've got a good ol' GM 3 speed auto on one car and those fail every

100,000 or so. Easy enough to fix, though. Dunno how I'd get on with a modern box.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Might be for the US ones with the GM box.

Most 'modern' autos are at least 5 speed - some BMWs in Europe since '91. Many have 6 or 7 gears these days. And give equally as good performance and econonomy as manuals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Not true. Every performance test for acceleration I have ever seen says that autos are always slower than manuals. If you want, I can dig out examples from Car & Driver magazine. Every test I have seen - including the US EPA shows that manuals get better mileage:

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

My E36 has a 4-speed.

-- VF

Reply to
Victor Faraday

Well, yes. It's got a GM box BMW for some reason fitted to US cars. Euro BMWs have a 5 speed ZF.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)