Replacing Ignition - 92 S-10

Have to really fight to turn the key (tried 2 different keys). Assume ignition needs to be replaced. How does one go about doing that? Pull the steering wheel? If so, do you need some kind of Puller?

Reply to
Batfink
.

Replacing Ignition - 92 S-10 Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Sep 18, 2003, 8:57am From: snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net (Batfink)

Have to really fight to turn the key (tried 2 different keys). Ass u me ignition needs to be replaced.

1) How does one go about doing that?

2) Pull the steering wheel?

3) If so, do you need some kind of Puller?
Reply to
Scribb Abell

By this time there should be scads of information on pulling the ignition lock, do a search and if you don't find anything, advise. You have a Saginaw column, non-airbag, non MATS, makes it a lot easier. It would be good to have a steering wheel puller and a locking plate compressor as well as a good sharp ice pick or awl.

Reply to
Rod Williams

You also may be able to have your GM dealer cut a code key or even give you the code, sometimes the dealer does not know how to cut them very well but this varies from place to place.

Reply to
Rod Williams

Or, you could do as I did about two weeks ago and take it to the shop. Part - $38.00 Labor - 45.00

------------- Total - 83.00

Was worth it to me considering I don't have all the tools or the patience.

Reply to
Drumstick

If you want to do it yourself:

Rod Williams

When my lock cylinder went bad, I went to a licensed locksmith. They did the job for $65 while I waited.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll look at my options. That's what I needed to know.

Reply to
Batfink