83 Chrysler with 2.6 mitsubishi engine- chain noise

I have a 83 chrysler T&C with 2.6 Mitsubishi engine. I bought the car new, exported the car to Europe 5 years later and used it ever since (as a second car). The car has driven more than 150.000 miles without problem, until a few days ago. First a small rattling noise (timing chain??), the next day engine warning light on (after cold start indicating probably oil pump failure?) This car, although common in the US, is a one of a kind in Europe. Hence my attempt to keep it running for another 20+ years. No dealer or repair shop in Belgium has ever seen an engine like this. So I'm on my own to repair this myself (with the help of a friend of mine). I have a Chilton repair manual (not very helpful for this), but no detailed factory repair manual. Can anyone help me with more detailed info on the timing chain or oil pump chain? How to replace it? Would replacement of chain guides only be sufficient? How to get access? Are there some shortcuts or pitfalls? Pictures? Schematics? I've been trying to locate a factory service manual on ebay, but this would take 2-3 weeks to receive it in Belgium. Can anyone help me with a digital copy of relevant pages of factory manual on timing chain and oil pump change? If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate this. Thanks

Reply to
louis heylen

[...]

Go to

and purchase a years subscription to, among other things, the procedures and pictures right out of the factory service manual. Your subscription will also include the full TSB's applicable to your vehicle.

Your subscription and subsequent access to the on-line information will be immediate. Additional vehicles and/or renewals of the subscription are $15.

Bill Putney

IF the chains are worn and the guides shot, the chains, tensioners, and chainnguides must all be changed. Sometimes the engines get noisy all of a sudden if the tensioners stick. Try a flush and change to 20W50 oil and see if it quiets down. If not, you've a lot of work ahead of you. The countershaft bearings also can get "tight" causing the oil pump chain to break or the sprocket to strip.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
mic canic

The chain case can be removed from this engine without dropping it out of the van. I have done it myself to replace broken guides. The trick is to undo the front centre mount and support the engine with a jack. Remove the passenger front wheel and inner fender cover to engine. Then jack engine up a bit to remove the upper chaincase bolts, then lower it a bit to remove the lower bolts.

Reply to
Mr. Elbe

It's been a lot of years, but my Dad had one. His oil pump chain came off while he was out in the desert, so it wasn't very convenient. I don't really remember why it failed.. The chain guides rub all the time, so they'd naturally be worn out badly on yours. I would think you'd want to replace the chain as well. If for no other reason than it runs the oil pump.

Reply to
Joe

I had an 87 that had that engine or at least it was a Mitsubishi 2.6. As I recall, there was a port on the front of the chain cover to adjust the tension on the counterbalance chain. Had an access hole with a cover in the front wheel well. supposed to be done every 30K miles. However, chrysler corp failed to list the adjustment in the owners manual along with all the other periodic maintainance.

It got loose and went everywhere. I do remember being able to replace the chain without taking the engine out.

I complained to chrysler about the failure to warn. There answer was they would have paid for it if I had taken it to an authorized dealer and not done it myself. Easy to say after the fact.

You might look to adjust, see if that st>I have a 83 chrysler T&C with 2.6 Mitsubishi engine. I bought the car

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Thanks everybody. This group is quite something. I never expected this outstanding support and help. Thanks. I started to strip the engine and found the balancing shaft chain (the one that seems to drive the oil pump??) to be broken. Timing chain seems not too bad, although... . I now need to order the parts (chain,tensioners,... and gaskets. I found a few suppliers in the US, all selling different brands (sealed power,melling, clevite,...). Any recommendations? I don't want to do this twice and intend only to go for the best? Also; Any suggestions on what else not to forget, while I'm in there? regards

Reply to
louis heylen

Sealed Power, Perfect Circle, Melling, Clevite, TRW, Cloyes all sell excellent internal parts. In all likelihood, only one company produces the parts for the Mitsu 2.6 engine and it is simply bought into the product lines of the others -- this engine is widely regarded in North America as a poorly-engineered junkbox not worth rebuilding or repairing, and parts demand is low.

Fel-Pro and Victor-Reinz make good gaskets.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You DEFINITELY want to check the balance shafts, which are also driven by the Oil Pump chain. Having them tighten up makes short work of the chain.. There are mods to be made to the oiling of the rear bearings on the countershafts.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
mic canic