84 Caravan Timing belt Q

Hey guys...does an 84 dodge caravan -w- a 4 cyl mitsubishi engine have a timing belt or chain/ More to the point...if it slips or breaks am I automatically screwed or is there a chance that the engine could escape w/o damage. It always ran rough and would sometimes cut out -w- a hard start but recently just pooped out on the highway, backfired once and wouldn't start. It seems like it's turning over pretty normally as far as I can tell. Mechanic hasn't said it's the timing belt yet but that's what I'm hearing from a few friends. In the shop right now, just wondering what I can likely expect. Thanks

Reply to
samhain005

Post the engine. I didn't think there were any Mitsubishi made 4 cylinder Chryslers, just the 6 cylinder 3.0L and I didn't think that was around in

1984.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The optional larger engine in the K-cars and minivans was the 2.6 litre Mitsubishi "Astron" engine. Piece of garbage. Replaced in 1987 by the Chrysler-built 2.5.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The 4-cyl Mitz engine is the 2.6L, which is what I have on my 85 Voyager and 86 Caravan, RIP. It has a timing chain. The timing chain guides will eventually self-destruct, making the chain slap around. But I do not recall if the chain fails, whether or not the valves will pound into the piston tops. A quick call to the dealer parts or service dept should verify what happens if the chain skips or breaks. Those engines tend to run a bit rough anyway, because of the carb. Either it runs much too rich with very high idle, or at low idle it does not fast enough to run smooth. Repair cost will likely exceed market value of vehicle. Start keeping your eyes open for a similar model. My 86 wet the bed, and I eventually found an 85 that runs pretty good for less than $500. Good luck. Bob

85 Voyager 200k miles, 50K miles >Hey guys...does an 84 dodge caravan -w- a 4 cyl mitsubishi engine have
Reply to
BeeP

2.6 (as I had in my 87 Caravan) is a non-interference engine so should not make contact is chain breaks (as mine did). Should be able to replace chain, guides and go. May as well do oil pump while there as it assists the tensioner/guides.
Reply to
PC Medic