92 Acclaim Exhaust System

I just started driving my 92 Acclaim and it needs a new exhaust system.I was told by someone at Autozone that I need a resonater pipe.I then called Midas to get a quote from them and they told me that a resonater pipe is not needed according to the computer.Could somebody help me with this?Who is right?

Reply to
tjv

I wouldn't get exhaust work done at either Midas or trust Autozone. Why don't you look in the phone book and find a decent independent exhaust place? They can custom bend up an exhaust system for you that will be made out of much thicker steel and won't rust out.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Step one: Stay the hell away from Midas. They use very low-quality parts, their labor is often shoddy, and their "lifetime guarantee" isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Find a shop, whether chain or independent, that will install name brand mufflers (Walker, AP/Goerlich, Arvin, NAPA).

Step two: Autozone is not a wise choice for vehicle service, either. Fine place to buy cheap oil and antifreeze and that kind of thing, but not a wise place for service.

The resonator is a second muffler, a small one, in the pipe between the catalytic converter and the main muffler. Its job is to eliminate noise at specific engine RPM and vehicle load conditions. The car won't blow up or stop running if it's not there, but the exhaust will be noisier both inside and outside the car. If you don't care and won't get annoyed by it, then you can save a few bucks by having an intermediate pipe without a resonator put in. But if you drive a lot, the resonance you'll get without the resonator can get on your nerves.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the info.How good is Car-X?I had Midas inspect my car today and there estimate was about $200.Seems kind of steep to me.I just called Car-X and there estimate was about half of what Midas is.That seems to be the only big name chains in the area I live in in Southeast Minnesota.The rest of them appear to be locally owned shops.I'll have to call them tomorrow since they are closed tonight.Thanks again!

Reply to
tjv

Try for a locally-owned shop.

Reply to