95 Intrepid rear window defogger doesn't! (defog that is)

95 Intrepid r/w/d is making me crazy.....It worked in Sept when it was nice but not imperitive but it quit when the going got tough...now that it -30 its not working at all.....the light on the dash switch comes on and I can hear the relay click as well....I checked the fusible link at then battery and its OK,,,I checked the grid and can't see any breaks and I've looked really closely....I've checked the connections on the left and right side of the rear window and they are OK...I put my multi-meter across the two terminals on the rear window while the switch was on and got o volts...I traced the wire along the drivers side and it seems OK..........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!...what am I missing?

Thanks Tim (Winnipeg Canada)

Perhaps -30 is just too cold for it to heat the glass enough to make a difference.

Bill Putney

Put multimeter from one terminal to ground. Then other terminal to ground. If no power on either, check for power at the relay. If power on both, bad ground. You will not get power on one and not the other, as you have determined there is no voltage drop across the grid.

My guess? A bad ground or a bad relay.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for the input..............fwiw.....-30 isn't too cold for these things......I've had the displeasure of living in this climate most of my life....it regularly gets to -40, sometimes -45...ouch...anyways thats when they are worth their weight in gold....like a good heater.....and I'll try the ground and relay route...thanks...will let u know,

Tim

-40 is a heat wave in some parts of Canada..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Reply to
damnnickname

Thanks........I'm going to see if I can chip the husky's out of the ice, hook up the sled and mush my way to the garage for a look.....yuk yuk....

Tim