Acclaim 2.5L AIS motor replacement/adjustment HELP needed

Hello I have an Acclaim with 2.4L four, that is idling too high. Found no vacuum leaks. Tested with OTC scanner, idle speed will hover at 1200rpm even when called for base idle (750). I can increase to about 1400 from the scanner, but if I ask for more it will not increase. So it is partially repsonding. I am going to remove AIS motor and clean TB inside, somewhere I read there is an adjustment on how far the pintle sticks out of the motor. Anyone know more about this? Any help would be appreciated. Maybe something common to dodge product.

Reply to
Snowman

You mentioned nothing about fault codes? Where there any stored? There is no adjustment for the AIS motor, you put it in and that's it. It may or may not fix your problem, a faulty TPS sensor or related wiring could cause this and many other things. The engine controller's driver circuit for the AIS may also be causing this. Good luck

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

TPS value is 1.00 at idle and rock stable, linear as I increase. Could be MAP but that was within range when I looked at the value. There is a mention about adjusting pintle length to 1" from AIS body prior to installing, but I am unclear on that. Will look deeper into it later today. Could be as simple as cleaning pintle seat in TB, if it sticks it will never manage to regulate properly. Chrysler stealership wants $100 for AIS, and it is a cheap plastic one. Tempted to pull one off junk yard and try my luck. Car is perfectly driveable as is, so I am not too worried, eventually I'll get to the bottom of it. Cheers!

Reply to
Snowman

Forgot: no fault codes stored or active. And it is a 2.5L motor (not

2.4)

Snowman wrote:

Reply to
Snowman

I had that engine in my '86 Le'Baron GTS. I believe there is an adjustment for minimum idle speed only. I'd look for sticking in the throttle links. Check if you can reduce the idle speed by pushing the links back to idle. I'd be tempted to give the throttle controls a total clean up, before replacing parts.

Reply to
Some O

Reply to
philthy

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for the AIS pintle, except that the pintle should be in "retracted" position when installing to throttle body.

Spec. says the pintle itself is in retracted position if the pintle length is 1" or less out of the AIS motor body. Measurement is from tip of pintle to base of motor where pintle protrudes from. Don't forget to ensure you have the O-ring on the pintle before reinstall.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03