belt tensioner on 98 Grand Voyager

I've gone through 3-4 belt tensioners in the past 7 months. They'll work for varying amounts of time (varying from a week to a couple of months) and then they start squealing again. They don't do it all the time (most often when my wife is off driving it, least often when near a mechanic). we've tried both replacement brands and one from Chrysler.

Any ideas?

Reply to
rheyduck

It might help to know what engine you're working on. And how you determined it was the tensioner at fault. My idea is that it's really not the tensioner making noise...it's either the idler or the AC clutch, or maybe even the alternator.

Reply to
Steve

The engine is the 3.3 (as I recall). The mechanic used the broomstick method of stopping the tensioner and having the sound go away. He said it was the bearing in the tensioner. I also went through several AC compressors last summer before they found one that didn't screech after a few days.

Reply to
rheyduck

Reply to
mic canic

Belt alignment is the key to having the belt stay on, also make sure there is no oil leaks, coolant leaks and the a/c drain tube is in place and not leaking on the p/s pump pulley. If the power steering pump has been replaced, it may have had the pulley improperly installed. I don't think you needed that many tensioners in that short of period.. Have someone else look at it before installing another belt or tensioner

Reply to
maxpower